Peterf

Can I use 50# braid if it says 20-40

Rate this topic

25 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I have noticed some rods have a rating of 20-40#line. So if I use 50 pd braid would that hurt the eyes I see it this way its only 10 more pds how much damage could I do  allso when a rod has a line rating is it for mono or braid 

Edited by Peterf

It isn't anything to do with guides, it's the rod's ability to put pressure on fish. If you put 50lb on, and max your drag to utilize it fully, (unlikely) you'd be putting more stress on the rod than the manufacturer intended. With reasonable drag settings, 5-8lbs, the 20-40 rated rod would be fine, just don't try to break off a snag using it as a lever, which is a bad idea anyway.

Here is the thing or a theory I have.  When we look at a rods rating most times it's for mono.  Some rods will say mono andsome will say braid.

Let's look at your rod and assume its 20 to 40# mono.  You want to put 50# braid on.  For this theory you need to fully understand the big difference between mono and braid.

Stretch vs no stretch.

I think when a rod manufacture puts 20 to 40# they are effectively saying this is what this rod can handle because mono can stretch and easily and softly bring the rod up to its max failing point.  Put anything over 40# and the rod may fail.

But they dont tell us that directly.  And yes the rod may fail below 40#.

I think with braid the the elimination of the stretch we are already maxing rods out and why so many are breaking.  High sticking doesnt help either.

But a 40# braid that has a breaking strength of greater then 40# and the rod is maxed out already with no stretching in the braid.  With braid you dont have that soft and gentle flex of the rod reaching its breaking point when flexing.  It's just one hard solid bend and when you are already over the rod rating with no stretch, its probably not a good thing.

They are usually mono numbers unless it’s a braid specific or jigging rod. I double those mono  numbers when using braid.

50# ?   May as well use anchor chain!!!     If you are using a 20/40 rated rod and you are chasing fish that need 50 lb test then the  rod is underrated for the job you intend it to do. 

2 hours ago, aae0130 said:

50# ?   May as well use anchor chain!!!     If you are using a 20/40 rated rod and you are chasing fish that need 50 lb test then the  rod is underrated for the job you intend it to do. 

What does the pound test matter if you have the drag on your reel set correctly to the rod rating? What if you are using stronger line because you are fishing a boulder field, or around dock pilings or any other structure that is more abrasive?

Why stop at #50?

I understand using a leader #50 (and heavier) on 20 rated rod but why would you do whole spool with heavier line?

Posted (edited) · Report post

16 mins ago, SIC34 said:

What does the pound test matter if you have the drag on your reel set correctly to the rod rating? What if you are using stronger line because you are fishing a boulder field, or around dock pilings or any other structure that is more abrasive?

Because the guides are spaced and sized for the appropriate reel and line. It will most likely not cast well.....

Edited by aae0130

30 mins ago, aae0130 said:

Because the guides are spaced and sized for the appropriate reel and line. It will most likely not cast well.....

Not gonna be a noticeable difference in casting distance/ability etc. because of the guides if you use even 30lb braid compared to 50

17 mins ago, aae0130 said:

That's BS or at the very least way over exaggerated. No rod, unless custom is sized for a specific reel (still not making much of a difference). Most rods aren't specifically rated for BOTH braid and mono to begin with. So if you take a factory rated rod rated whatever...the spectrum is so broad with the line, again it doesn't add up. Power pro for example has 30 lb test that's equivalent to 8 pound mono in diameter, I think the 50 lb PP is equivalent to 12 lb mono. Casting wise the thinner line will always cast further and that's what matters. If you need heavier line for whatever reason (rocks or structure) and your drag is set correctly the lb test the OP refers to is irrelevant to the rod ratings.

Also pretty much all of the big surf sticks and canal sticks are 15-40#, but surely people use more than that. I've only ever broken one rod and it was because I set the hook wicked hard on a tree stump lol. I'm planning on using 65# on my 15-40 Mojo for some big surf fishing in the keys, and I don't anticipate any issues. If you use 30 lbs of drag then you will have a problem, but I can't imagine it causes much issue under normal conditioms to go a bit over the rod rating. Just my $.02

They sure do design rods with reel sizes in mind. There not specific to a model but they is an optimal range and they build in butt weight for balance with that range in mind. 

50 lb braid is thinner than 50 lb mono but it is also unwieldy in a lightweight rod. Braid does not pass through guides like mono. Mono is itself smooth and braid is a much more abrasive. Heavy braid is more likely to bunch up at the guides and slow the cast down. Add a a little wind and it gets worse. 

Braid should not not be the choice if being thrown into heave cover like boulders and stumps. When you rub it on rocks it gets feathered and weak. That’s why so many people get the odd break offs. 

Depends entirely upon the application if you're using braid around Boulder Fields you're going to need a long leader if you're fishing somewhere open ocean or sand you'll be fine

7 hours ago, SIC34 said:

Very good point...