Lets talk aging eyes and line watching

Was in the yak worm fishing with stren clear blue.

I cannot see the line for beans in both sun and shade.

I have used green line in the past but have big spools of this clear.

Anybody use a strike indicator? Not sure how this would even work at different distances.

What about glasses vs. No glasses?

Any help so i stop missing strikes?

troll #122  <*)))<

You can try a green magic marker for a bit of contrast . You can leave as much clear line in the water as you wish.  Colour as much as need be above to help detect strikes .I'd try without the glasses too. I use various types of indicators fly fishing don't have clue one how to rig to fit your needs. 

34 mins ago, KidDkivahh said:

You can try a green magic marker for a bit of contrast . You can leave as much clear line in the water as you wish.  Colour as much as need be above to help detect strikes .I'd try without the glasses too. I use various types of indicators fly fishing don't have clue one how to rig to fit your needs. 

Thanks, i sometimes use black marker on leader i never thought of green

troll #122  <*)))<

4 hours ago, KidDkivahh said:

I think you live a couple towns away. Do you have a yak?

If no, would you be interested in fishing my club pond in my jonboat? I go back to work beginning of June .so I'm home every day.

Not sure your schedule. 

I think the big bass will start hitting. I lost a good one last week.......

troll #122  <*)))<

If you’re fishing shallow, you can use small foam indicators like they use for fly fishing. They slide pretty easily on your line, making them easily adjustable. Or maybe even knots for bobber stops, although, they may not float well. 

Im a line watcher too and my eyes are getting worse each year. I prefer to use hi-biz braid. Braid floats, which makes it ideal. I use a flouro leader of about 4’-6’. The braid makes a perfect strike indicator for this application. 

10 hours ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

Was in the yak worm fishing with stren clear blue.

I cannot see the line for beans in both sun and shade.

I have used green line in the past but have big spools of this clear.

Anybody use a strike indicator? Not sure how this would even work at different distances.

What about glasses vs. No glasses?

Any help so i stop missing strikes?

You can go hi-vis braid to leader. Chartreuse J braid is pretty easy to pick up against the water or horizon, even in 8lb test. 

Watch where the line enters the water.

When I used to fish a really rocky, sticky area, hopping buck tails on the bottom I used 20# Trilene Solar Green.

Now that I use braid, it's so thin it's hard to see at 62.

In the pond I watch were the line enters the water.

In the surf the bigger fish and water are moving and you feel a good majority of the hits with braid.

I also use hi-viz 832 braid with a fluro leader which solved the issue for me. Maybe save the mono for moving baits or sell it and get hi vis line. There are some monos that are hi viz above water but clear below. Berkley made some at some time.

I'm a line watcher too.  Years ago, before I swtched to braid on all my reels, I used gold stren mono with a clear mono leader as long as posible but still keeping the leader knot just off the spool.  When I switched to braid I started using high-vis Fireline to replace the gold Stren.  Still works for me.

The first casualty of War, Politics, and now Covid is the truth.

I forgot to mention that when standing in a conga line at the base of Conowingo Dam for shad, all the other fishermen can see exactly where my glowing line is.  That helps alot.  And when I get tangled with other fishermen Its much easier to pick out my line in the tangle.

The first casualty of War, Politics, and now Covid is the truth.

This is true. J braid multi color metered line is one of the easiest for me to pick up against any water color...sections of blue/gray/green with chartreuse/black highlights every meter. 

Wish it came in lighter tests; I've only seen them in 20lb and up. 

3 hours ago, HJS said:

I forgot to mention that when standing in a conga line at the base of Conowingo Dam for shad, all the other fishermen can see exactly where my glowing line is.  That helps alot.  And when I get tangled with other fishermen Its much easier to pick out my line in the tangle.

Yup!

On a club bluefish charter we were chumming and chunking. Tangles ensued as they always do.

While the rest were worried about who's line was who's I snipped the hook of the bright green Solar line, removed my line and was back fishing long before the poor mate could get the rest squared away.

Never used a clear leader either. Didn't seem to bother the fish any.....