jjdbike

Nantucket fluke: what fave jig?

Rate this topic

100 posts in this topic

This rig is from Crazy Gear Doormat Rigs, which you can buy from Fisherman Depot.  This rig uses 7/0 or 8/0 Gamakatsu octopus hooks with a trolling spoon and a fishfinder for the weight.  Crazy Gear also put up a YouTube video showing you how to tie your own.

Another rig is from BJ Silvia, Flipping Out Charters, which uses 7/0 Kahle style hooks to allow for large, multiple baits and still having the point exposed for hook ups.

FF_Fluke_Bottom_Slider_1024x1024.jpg

DFBSFF-ChartTeaser_1000x1000_4ea4fb6e-03a2-4b84-a267-92f27347130d_1024x1024.jpg

BJ Silva.jpg

Posted (edited) · Report post

6 hours ago, Houdini 1 said:

This rig is from Crazy Gear Doormat Rigs, which you can buy from Fisherman Depot.  This rig uses 7/0 or 8/0 Gamakatsu octopus hooks with a trolling spoon and a fishfinder for the weight.  Crazy Gear also put up a YouTube video showing you how to tie your own.

Another rig is from BJ Silvia, Flipping Out Charters, which uses 7/0 Kahle style hooks to allow for large, multiple baits and still having the point exposed for hook ups.

FF_Fluke_Bottom_Slider_1024x1024.jpg

BJ Silva.jpg

Thanks is man,

I have one of those BJ FlippyOut rigs. I like the big hook but w/ longer baits I still feel more comfortable w/ a stinger hook.

Would the crazy gear rig be appropriate for 100’ plus w/ heavy current? I’m guessing that dragging a crazy gear rig, or a heavy fluke bomb might be better than trying to jig in 100’ w/a fast drift / ripping current?

This may sound silly , but is that crazy gear rig any better at attracting door mats than any other jig or rig?

Thanks,

JD

Edited by jjdbike

I simply use a sinker if if 8oz or better is required ! The standard chicken rig with teasers and bait above have caught most of my big fluke . One caveat I prefer the 3 way  loop knot so I  can fish one leader strand instead of two per normal dropper set up .

Spinners n flasher spoons will work but let current speed dictate there use . 

I agree with Capt Lou re: current dictating rig and/or rig components.

Last year off Block Island on The SevenB’s  the fish or the current didn’t like the BJ rig so I cut it down and cut it down until it was just a single hook with medium length bait.  Caught my limit on 45 minutes.  It’s just what worked.

What’s the advantage of a swing hook on a bigger fluke jig (6-8oz) as opposed to a fixed hook. See pics.

What do you think?

JD

839E889D-254D-4EE6-9E88-46EDA51AE31A.jpeg

FCE63793-72E0-4099-BCAE-5F30E8F5C507.jpeg

CF38698A-55E1-44BA-8BBE-397CD3364AA5.jpeg

less leverage to throw the weight.  I used to fish 8 oz bucktails  but had a few doormats throw them. One right before it got a Helen H gaff.  

1 hour ago, blacklabnh said:

less leverage to throw the weight.  I used to fish 8 oz bucktails  but had a few doormats throw them. One right before it got a Helen H gaff.  

Totally agree. A handshake on a fixed hook after fighting the fish is more likely to toss the jig.

18 hours ago, blacklabnh said:

Dang, those are the ones you relive and rethink over and over again.

16 hours ago, Kml said:

Totally agree. A handshake on a fixed hook after fighting the fish is more likely to toss the jig.

Thanks.

10 hours ago, Houdini 1 said:

John Skinner says he had his designed with a swing hook to increase the bait’s movement.

Soo, less leverage and more bait movement. Win win.

I'll looke into swing hook alternatives.

Thanks for your replies.

JD

On 5/31/2019 at 11:05 AM, Houdini 1 said:

So those "Crazy Gear Doormat Rigs" are shown w/ fish finder sliders or 3 way swivels. 

Which would you folks prefer in 100' and current?

Thanks in advance!

JD

11 hours ago, Houdini 1 said:

John Skinner says he had his designed with a swing hook to increase the bait’s movement.

I don't think skinner is fishing 8+ ounces.

2 hours ago, jjdbike said:

So those "Crazy Gear Doormat Rigs" are shown w/ fish finder sliders or 3 way swivels. 

Which would you folks prefer in 100' and current?

Thanks in advance!

JD

I like a swivel between the main line and sinker which is why I prefer the 3-way vs fishfinder.

11 mins ago, PeterO said:

I like a swivel between the main line and sinker which is why I prefer the 3-way vs fishfinder.

Makes sense,

Thanks Peter. 

This works for me. Had to come up with a cheap alternative to bucktails for my son and I fishing structure and losing tons of rigs 10 years ago.Works up at Nantucket too, just slide on any size egg sinker you want. Two snelled hooks, tried slider , didn't need it. Painted sinkers, didn't need it.

IMG_2806.JPG

Posted (edited) · Report post

These are what I use there and I’ll Bucktail or fish a gulp ball when the tide slows

564CE65E-8DBD-4A88-9B74-BE8D8EF6C086.jpeg

Edited by TimS
Please don’t post commercial links here - thanks