jjdbike

Nantucket fluke: what fave jig?

Rate this topic

100 posts in this topic

10 mins ago, MakoMike said:

Don't forget it's easy enough to rig a siding two hook rig to accommodate any size squid.

Thanks,

How, please?

JD

7 mins ago, jjdbike said:

Thanks,

How, please?

JD

I'll try. Tie your terminal hook on the leader like you aways would. ( I use a palomar but pick your own flavor) Then where you need and additional hook double the line, past through the hook eye and then put the hook through the loop. It will slip with a fish on but it will tow a long bait very well. As long as your know on the trailing hook is O.K. you're good to go!

45 mins ago, MakoMike said:

I'll try. Tie your terminal hook on the leader like you aways would. ( I use a palomar but pick your own flavor) Then where you need and additional hook double the line, past through the hook eye and then put the hook through the loop. It will slip with a fish on but it will tow a long bait very well. As long as your know on the trailing hook is O.K. you're good to go!

You got one to take a picture of?

2 hours ago, Tom T said:

It’s like a dropper loop without the knot part just the loop. 

Mike, how heavy leader and what size/type hook works best for this?

MikeShark’s way works and is a quick way to do it.  However, if you are on a serious trip it’s worth the effort to tie up a bunch of rigs in advance.  This is one way to do it.  I wouldn’t tie the swivel on ahead of the trip as I might want to add a colored skirt or a blade, depending on what was working.  

Thanks,

I'll use that.

I suppose the top hook is so much smaller than the bottom because it's only intended to hook the head / front of the bait, not the fish?

JD

9 hours ago, PeterO said:

MikeShark’s way works and is a quick way to do it.  However, if you are on a serious trip it’s worth the effort to tie up a bunch of rigs in advance.  This is one way to do it.  I wouldn’t tie the swivel on ahead of the trip as I might want to add a colored skirt or a blade, depending on what was working.  

Both rigs slide, what am I missing for the extra lunacy of this rig?  Other than the possibility/belief that the makomike way will chafe the leader more.  (Once it slides down once, it ain't going anywhere)

And whats with the snelling pipe?

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 5/19/2019 at 6:52 PM, MakoMike said:

Haven't been yet, maybe squeeze in a fist trip this year.

Don't do it - you will wan't to fish there EVERY day.  

My top bait has been 6" pink shine gulp grub above a long stip of meat with 2 10/0 octopus hooks. The Gulp usually outfishes the bait for me. Last trip did alot of 4 oz bucktailing with the gulp on the bucktail. 

Edited by blacklabnh

1 hour ago, Tom T said:

Both rigs slide, what am I missing for the extra lunacy of this rig?  Other than the possibility/belief that the makomike way will chafe the leader more.  (Once it slides down once, it ain't going anywhere)

And whats with the snelling pipe?

You’re not missing anything.

Snell the snell that you snell best :shrug:

11 mins ago, PeterO said:

You’re not missing anything.

Snell the snell that you snell best :shrug:

You are the one who stated your way was for "serious" fishing, implying that poor makomike is a clown.  I'm just asking for what I am missing that makes one serious and one not.

If I'm on a big fish hunt I'm not using double hook slider rigs.  I'm looking for the bite that swallows the damn bait. 

Every time I've fluked Nantucket Shoals I've been unable to bucktail.  Swift current in 100' depths makes casting up-current with an 8 oz jig impossible, and I refuse to use more than an 8 oz jig.  What has worked for us is a simple hi-low rig - sinker on bottom, 1st dropper 10" above sinker, 2nd dropper 10" above first.   LAst year we hit Nantucket Shoals (100') after going for Cod/Pollack on Georges BAnk  (300').   WE actually had to use more weight when Flukin', up to 20 oz  :eek:

I still always bring my bucktails to Nantucket Shoals and someday may even get to use them. . . 

15 hours ago, Tom T said:

Nah, I They're so I easy I just make them up as I need them. Kevin got the right idea.