Nantucket fluke: what fave jig?

Rate this topic

jjdbike

Fluke are easy, no? I'd use a sufficient weight and a big gulp on a teaser 18-24" above it. Maybe a weight on a slider with the teaser and a trailer gulp behind the slider. 

Now I've never fished Nantucket. That's just what I'd do in deep fast conditions that call for 8oz plus.

Edited by Mike

"Depend not on fortune, but on conduct."

8 hours ago, Mike said:

Fluke are easy, no? I'd use a sufficient weight and a big gulp on a teaser 18-24" above it. Maybe a weight on a slider with the teaser and a trailer gulp behind the slider. 

Now I've never fished Nantucket. That's just what I'd do in deep fast conditions that call for 8oz plus.

Thanks Mike,

You're right. Just wondering of anyone here had any favorite jigs they like to use in deeper water.

I forget where I saw it, but saw a pic of a bright colored jig w/ big eyes and rubber & flash skirt. Looked like it would get some attention. Bug hook too, that could fit a big Gulp & strip.

Anyone here seen anything like available this any where?

JD

Edited by jjdbike

4 hours ago, jjdbike said:

I forget where I saw it, but saw a pic of a bright colored jig w/ big eyes and rubber & flash skirt. Looked like it would get some attention. Bug hook too, that could fit a big Gulp & strip.

Anyone here seen anything like available this any where?

JD

Palmers makes a few big ones now for Nantucket. You could check his site but I think his specific Nantucket stuff, he only sells through his facebook. Also M3 tackle offers chrome ball jigs up to 16 or so.

Gonna be up there in July looking for a personal best again. :)

Keep it simple, you’re fishing deep, and drifting with current can take some weight (12 - 16 oz not unusual) to hold bottom.  I use cannon balls (no need for chrome) a foot below a good quality 3-way swivel.  An adjustable tandem hook setup so you can properly hook a whole squid on a 3 ft leader.  You can add a blade and a few beads.

"My mind is aglow with whirling, transient nodes of thought careening through a cosmic vapor of invention."
Hedley Lamar
"It wasn't the bullet that laid him to rest, was the low spark of high-heeled boys"
Jim Capaldi & Steve Winwood

19 hours ago, Jwinds said:

Palmers makes a few big ones now for Nantucket. You could check his site but I think his specific Nantucket stuff, he only sells through his facebook. Also M3 tackle offers chrome ball jigs up to 16 or so.

Gonna be up there in July looking for a personal best again. :)

Cool,

Thanks for the tip. I just messaged him. We'll bethere June 20 & July 7th.

16 hours ago, PeterO said:

Keep it simple, you’re fishing deep, and drifting with current can take some weight (12 - 16 oz not unusual) to hold bottom.  I use cannon balls (no need for chrome) a foot below a good quality 3-way swivel.  An adjustable tandem hook setup so you can properly hook a whole squid on a 3 ft leader.  You can add a blade and a few beads.

Thanks Peter.

What do you guys think of this (see pic)? 10oz. Would this be appropriate for whole squid? It's from Palmer's site. 

JD

52753366_1927715897355634_2256099234862333952_n.jpg