Dave588

Looking at a dog

Rate this topic

79 posts in this topic

48 mins ago, MikeMc said:

Why is it ok for someone to let their cat out to **** and piss on others property, or just abandon it? :dismay: 

Right...?  There outa be a law with the county.

Dogs beg for your attention whereas you beg a cat for attention.  If it's not a farm and the cat doesn't work...pfft

2 hours ago, Terry Mac said:

I recommend experimenting with different breeds. If you dont like your choice just let it go in the woods. Not a big deal. 

I did the same with a couple of exwives.

They start getting lippy, we go for a ride. I pump them full of soda, and water, and when we 'have to stop'. I pull over, and while their pants are down, I zoom off.

By the time they find their way home, they either are good and pissed off enough to stay away, or they found a new man to bother on their way home, and just stopped by to get their curling iron.

2 hours ago, MikeMc said:

Why is it ok for someone to let their cat out to **** and piss on others property, or just abandon it? :dismay: 

Because no one really owns a cat.

2 hours ago, Terry Mac said:

With the homeless population on the rise out on the left coast why cant all these shelter dogs be used to feed them. It makes perfect sense. 

Seals too!

4 hours ago, Dave588 said:

And if their puppies, your really guessing on what it will grow into. 

So, you're saying breeding is irrelevant?  Well, that's a few hundred years of wasted effort.

Look, shelter dogs are as good as any other.  If all that matters is that you love the dog and you're not ALSO looking for particular characteristics, have at it.  An increased risk of behavioral and health issues comes with the territory and that's just the fact.  Ask them where they got the dog, because there's a good chance it's an import from southern puppy mill territory sent north to a no-kill shelter.  It's not a lot that it should turn you away, but it is what it is.  Chances are in your favor that you'll get a great pet.

But breeds ARE different, that's why we've been breeding animals for a few hundred years.  I go to a breeder for my dogs because I want a specific personality and other characteristics.  They're large and potentially dangerous.  The element of risk is lower if I go to a breeder.  My cats have always been shelter mutts, usually from litters we fostered ourselves for the shelter.

2 hours ago, MikeMc said:

My cat never left the yard and it would scream at you until you picked it up and petted it

18 mins ago, Nessmuk said:

So, you're saying breeding is irrelevant?  Well, that's a few hundred years of wasted effort.

My lab was akc and all, but his owner passed. His daughter tried to keep him. Son in law had him neutered at 1year 9 mos old to try to calm him down . It didnt work. I got him for free to a good home. Then i had him for 14 something years, right around 100 lbs. i would have cloned him if i had the means.

what i mean on a puppy, you take chances anywhere, you cant see what he is going to mature into unless the parents are on site.

4 hours ago, Terry Mac said:

I recommend experimenting with different breeds. If you dont like your choice just let it go in the woods. Not a big deal. 

Or just sell them to a Chinese market or restaurant. Might as well recoup a little of your money. :howdy:

14 mins ago, Dave588 said:

My lab was akc and all, but his owner passed. His daughter tried to keep him. Son in law had him neutered at 1year 9 mos old to try to calm him down . It didnt work. I got him for free to a good home. Then i had him for 14 something years, right around 100 lbs. i would have cloned him if i had the means.

what i mean on a puppy, you take chances anywhere, you cant see what he is going to mature into unless the parents are on site.

Absolutely, there's always of surprise, and training matters more than breeding.  A good breeder just puts you in the right ballpark and greatly improves your chances if you really are looking for a particular kind of dog.

The AKC has not always been a good thing either.  They're better now, but they just about destroyed the German Shepherd with inbreeding for appearance.  At this point they're considered a separate line of dogs.  It really depends on which breed you're looking at if you care about an AKC cert.  Generally  I'd say yes for our breeds, not so much for European breeds.

Labs...gotta love em.  That's my sister's favorite, so she always has at least two.  Goofball lapdogs that specialize in pushing my shepherd around.  Water maniacs.

On 5/17/2019 at 9:32 PM, Dave588 said:

Had our black lab until 2011. Kids liked him and want another dog. We are thinking about all the time a dog requires. 

Anyone in new england familiar with dog breeders? My wife is talking about golden doodles.

I got a 2 yo golden this winter, rescue, so I’ve been poking around golden sites.  GRCA really doesn’t like golden doodles.  Obviously they have a bias but commented that a cross that’s only been breed a few years won’t give reliable traits in the offspring.   I dunno but you’re right to check breeders out first. 

3 hours ago, Nessmuk said:

Absolutely, there's always of surprise, and training matters more than breeding.  A good breeder just puts you in the right ballpark and greatly improves your chances if you really are looking for a particular kind of dog.

The AKC has not always been a good thing either.  They're better now, but they just about destroyed the German Shepherd with inbreeding for appearance.  At this point they're considered a separate line of dogs.  It really depends on which breed you're looking at if you care about an AKC cert.  Generally  I'd say yes for our breeds, not so much for European breeds.

Labs...gotta love em.  That's my sister's favorite, so she always has at least two.  Goofball lapdogs that specialize in pushing my shepherd around.  Water maniacs.

When I trained the  guide dogs, they had 50 years of selective breeding for characteristics they desired, these last few, using genetics, and still had over a 50% wash out rate. Probably higher than that, but I can't give it exactly. They pay the best in the business of dog breeding, and still fail alot.

But, that said, even the dogs that washed out of the guide dog training, many went on to other jobs, sniffing drugs, or explosives, therapy etc. And, I can tell the difference in breeding between my mutts, and those dogs. Those dogs are much calmer.

Buying a puppy is a crap shoot, even with the best breeding. Good breeding just ups the odds of a dog that fits your needs.

Instead of picking a breed, pick a local breeder. You'll be able see dogs of different ages and they will offer you the most support and guidance in raising your pup.

"Rescues" are fast becoming the the largest customer for puppy mills. "He's from a kill shelter down South" is ****, more dogs are purchased by "shelters" at mobile auctions and through wholesalers than are actually "rescued".

:v:

On 5/17/2019 at 9:32 PM, Dave588 said:

Had our black lab until 2011. Kids liked him and want another dog. We are thinking about all the time a dog requires. 

Anyone in new england familiar with dog breeders? My wife is talking about golden doodles.

High energy dog. Needs a lot of training.