Dave588

Looking at a dog

Rate this topic

79 posts in this topic

Had our black lab until 2011. Kids liked him and want another dog. We are thinking about all the time a dog requires. 

Anyone in new england familiar with dog breeders? My wife is talking about golden doodles.

Whatever you decide on, a dog just fills out your life. There's a reason they call them man's best friend. Big or small. Good luck on your selection!

We adopted a cockapoo ( cockerspainel poodle mix) which was VERY high energy.  When he passed we adopted a bulldog. She was the mama at a puppy mill. She is fantastic but very low energy. So much so that her walks are about 200 ft before she tires out. We think she's about 11 and still going strong but me and the wife have lightly talked about what to get when she's not with us. Boxer might be next.

Go to some forum boards for your breed for your state and read the breeder section.  They'll list usually some of the top local breeders and talk about temperaments/health/etc.   

If you end up going the lab route again we've gotten some great dogs from greenwood labradors in brooklyn ct.

I'm led to believe the cancer rate is pretty high in golden retrievers.  We lost Charlie, our goldendoodle, at age 9 to cancer.  That's good I think.  We also have a cockapoo, now 10, don't need a home alarm as he barks at everyone and everything.  Both dogs are/were rescue dogs.  Good luck 

17 mins ago, EBHarvey said:

If you end up going the lab route again we've gotten some great dogs from greenwood labradors in brooklyn ct.

Is that where the one that mauled Bill came from?

10 hours ago, Dave588 said:

I really like more mellow dogs. My lab was high energy til about 5 and slowly mellowed for next ten years.

Dave

We've had 3 Golden "Doodles".  Ozzie only made it to 6yrs with a bad heart valve but Zoey and Sophie are over 13 and show no signs of slowing. FWIW, things we learned along the way...

*95lbs for Ozzie before he got really sick, Zoey is around 70lbs and Sophie is right behind her.

* Without training or command, all 3 love the water.  They literally dove in as pups the minute we walked down to the salt.  You've got to push the issue (repeatedly) to get them out and head home.

*I'm no trainer but they take basic commands with little instruction.  Ozzie was to dumb for anything but "sit" (dog was legitimate retarded :) and easily my favorite).  The girls are really good...Sophie needs no encouragement for "roll over".  Cracks my daughter up every time.

*They shed...I don't give a fuq what the internet tells you.  Ozzie was a fur machine, Zoey is like any other long hair and Sophie hardly at all.  It's a crap shoot.

*Toss most advice regards breeders.  Demand to see the actual living area of the pups.  Great breeder (husband/wife on a horse farm) and the general "vibe" was clean country (west side of RI).  Well, BS on that.  Ozzie and Zoey were siblings with shots, etc...  Both had parasitic infections (name of escapes me) and ear mites.  Sophie was from a regular lady who's Doodle got knocked up and needed to unload the pups.  Indoor living and nothing special...zero issues, just follow up shots.

*Unless it's changed...there are no such thing as papers on a Doodle.  Like it matters...

*They're nothing crazy with the energy.  Pretty much all 3 have what I'd call normal big dog amounts.

*They're natural bonding machines.  Zoey whines ridiculous if left outside my daughter's room, Sophie is the one and only dog I've ever allowed on my bed (what choice did I have) and Ozzie...holy crap.  You leave, he laid down at the front door, you come home...there he is and I doubt he ever lifted a paw.

*If I could offer a rating...solid 11 on a scale of 10.  From St Bernards to Old English to Australians...we've had em' all.  Kids would likely say the same.  The Golden Doodle model is truly the best breed I personally have ever owned.

Best,

Dutch