Riptide

Way to go EPO!

Rate this topic

79 posts in this topic

24 mins ago, Pescador710 said:

That maybe more appropriate nowadays. I haven’t seen a rat down there in years. 

A few few weeks ago I saw a mommy mink moving a litter of babies from one hole in the rocks to another about 100 yds away. They were adorable. Tried to take a pic but missed every time.

18 mins ago, Eagles Dare said:

I only saw one mink all last week when I was there. Beautiful jet black, and running down the service road among the people in the middle of the day.  :laugh:

People are probably poaching minks now too. Nothing would surprise me at this point.

I'm surprised they haven't started using drones at the ditch. As much as I hate them, they can cover a lot of ground and with the advanced optics can be flown high enough that you don't even know they are there. Seems like a no-brainer for patrolling the canal. 

3 hours ago, beerdoh said:

I'm surprised they haven't started using drones at the ditch. As much as I hate them, they can cover a lot of ground and with the advanced optics can be flown high enough that you don't even know they are there. Seems like a no-brainer for patrolling the canal. 

Banned by the ACOE, but the EPO's could probably get a waiver.  

1 hour ago, bob_G said:

Why would the EPOs need drones when they can drive their service road?

Lot's of reasons: 

• There are 7 miles of service road on each side and a very limited number of EPOs patrolling it with a limited vantage point.
  • A single drone could cover a lot more ground and help pinpoint nefarious activity.
  • You can see a lot more from the air than you can from the ground.
  • You can see places from the air that you can't see from the service road (people hiding fish in the woods, ferrying them through trails to waiting vehicles, high-grading, etc). 

Drones are used for surveillance all the time because they allow the operator to scan large areas very quickly and they can record everything they see. The canal is the perfect place for using a tool like that.

6 hours ago, beerdoh said:

I agree.  

1 hour ago, beerdoh said:

Lot's of reasons: 

• There are 7 miles of service road on each side and a very limited number of EPOs patrolling it with a limited vantage point.
  • A single drone could cover a lot more ground and help pinpoint nefarious activity.
  • You can see places from the air that you can't see from the service road (people hiding fish in the woods, ferrying them through trails to waiting vehicles, high-grading, etc). 

Drones are used for surveillance all the time because they allow the operator to scan large areas very quickly and they can record everything they see. The canal is the perfect place for using a tool like that.

I was being facetious. 

I realize all the advantages of drones if used properly. As in the case of our military. However the EPOs don't get out of their cars now to check fishermen a few yards away. All I see a drone becoming is another toy, that allows them to watch by remote control.

4 hours ago, Eagles Dare said:

Banned by the ACOE, but the EPO's could probably get a waiver.  

If it were not for the power lines, I would agree the EPO's would probably have a chance.

But if I were the person with the final signoff for authorizing the use of drones along the canal, I would scrap the idea, knowing darn well that it would only be a matter of time until some aggressive drone joy stick operator would eventually hit one of those powers lines. 

No sir, would not want that when they begin to point fingers and, rightly or wrongly, assign responsibility.

Power lines wouldn't cause any issue except maybe the crash of the drone. 

I think the ban is a fairly recent development. There was a guy on Facebook that was posting a lot of canal drone videos. He was bitching about the ban. 

On 6/12/2019 at 6:58 PM, Eagles Dare said:

Power lines wouldn't cause any issue except maybe the crash of the drone. 

I think the ban is a fairly recent development. There was a guy on Facebook that was posting a lot of canal drone videos. He was bitching about the ban. 

The ban has been in place for a few years at least.  I wrote to one if they guys posting CCC videos on YouTube.  He refused to recognize the ban due to the fact that it wasn’t the FAA that instituted it.  

Sounds like they finally caught up with him/them?

On 6/12/2019 at 4:11 PM, beerdoh said:

Lot's of reasons: 

Words of wisdom for sure on what can be done to help reduce the poaching and unlawful taking of what ever fish it may be. Those who operate the drones would become part of another cultural enforcement that should enable law enforcement to catch more than they are now . 

Let's forget the drones for a moment. :laugh: The Environmental Police presently  have every bit of law enforcement technology at their disposal now. But even with that, the simplest and most effective deterrent is to get out of the vehicle and check their licences. It's that simple and effective. 

22 mins ago, Joe G said:

Surveillance drones, an effective law enforcement technique or a slippery slope?

Be careful what you wish for.

Exactly Joe. 

Here's what I see happening.

You see several cretins poaching bass.  You drop what you're doing, call the 800 EPO hotline. Report the exact pole number and a desciption of the poachers.  You wait, wait and wait some more. An hour later, a drone shows up. :dismay: