Riptide

Way to go EPO!

Rate this topic

81 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Fish Monkey said:

Unless they see something suspicious, do you really expect them to spend their entire day on their feet checking licenses? I know I wouldn't. Maybe a brand new EPO would do it for a few days, but hat would get real old real fast. That being said, there are certainly always people worth checking at the canal. Plenty of sketchy people.

Yes. Start at one end, work your way down the rocks and enforce the fish and game laws. Have two more EPOs with binoculars a few hundred yards ahead watching for people throwing dead fish back, grabbing their gear and running when they see the ones checking licenses working their way towards them. Run it like a drunk driving checkpoint - make everyone fishing in saltwater aware that they will be checked for the licenses, size/bag limits, seasonal closures, etc, etc.  Unfortunately somewhere along the lines it seems many parents have begun teaching their children that it's only against the law if you get caught. When getting caught is incredibly unlikely these folks become very uninterested in obeying the law.

Time to start catching enough people that the rest start to take the laws more seriously. 

TimS

Spare a thought for the mailmen, laborers, nurses, cooks and various others who spend all day on their feet without the luxury of hanging out in an air conditioned car instead.

On 5/17/2019 at 5:32 PM, bob_G said:

So does this jerk qualify for the new enhanced fines?

In maine, they would have taken all his gear, vehicle and charged him.

Checking a person's license was one of the first things they taught at shellfish constable school. You're taught how to politely interact with the public. You say "Good morning sir. How are you? May I see your license when you have a moment".

In Bourne you are required to display your license. If I didn't see one, I'd walk out to each and every person and ask. Many times I'd walk a couple hundred yards across a marsh simply to check if the shell fisherman was compliant.

It didn't take me long before I learned that the folks digging without licenses almost always had other violations as well. They'd usually have undersized shellfish, no guage, an illegal basket, or undersized shellfish hidden in their pockets or somewhere on their person.

16 mins ago, bob_G said:

Checking a person's license was one of the first things they taught at shellfish constable school. You're taught how to politely interact with the public. You say "Good morning sir. How are you? May I see your license when you have a moment".

In Bourne you are required to display your license. If I didn't see one, I'd walk out to each and every person and ask. Many times I'd walk a couple hundred yards across a marsh simply to check if the shell fisherman was compliant.

It didn't take me long before I learned that the folks digging without licenses almost always had other violations as well. They'd usually have undersized shellfish, no guage, an illegal basket, or undersized shellfish hidden in their pockets or somewhere on their person.

I wish the epo’s had your attitude enforcing the law. 

Well the EPO's seem to be doing a much better job of late. I do think the pressure brought to bear on them to do a better job is paying off. They are posting more busts on their FB page. I have seen them more around the shoreline in the last year then the previous ten years. I hope they continue to go after the sea bass poachers as they usually poach fluke and scup as well. 

I guess we just see it differently. I'd want to be checked by an EPO every time I fished just as much as I'd like to be pulled over and checked every time I drive my car. Unless you see me doing something wrong, leave me alone. Also, the "luxury of being a law enforcement officer sitting in AC all day" was a comical comment. 

Saw one Sunday on a quad.  Didn't see him check any licenses, he was stopping and glassing the shoreline ahead with binocs.  

Wonder if he wrote anyone up.

On 6/8/2019 at 7:25 AM, Joe G said:

When in the course of human events the processes of law are deemed inadequate then the citizenry must enlist the aid of self appointed doers of justice.   

You volunteering? :p

On 6/8/2019 at 10:10 AM, Pescador710 said:

I think the canal needs a super hero... how bout Ratman

Or Minkman. Come to think of it, i havent seen many rats this spring.

7 mins ago, bdowning said:

Or Minkman. Come to think of it, i havent seen many rats this spring.

That maybe more appropriate nowadays. I haven’t seen a rat down there in years. 

A few few weeks ago I saw a mommy mink moving a litter of babies from one hole in the rocks to another about 100 yds away. They were adorable. Tried to take a pic but missed every time.

I only saw one mink all last week when I was there. Beautiful jet black, and running down the service road among the people in the middle of the day.  :laugh:

11 hours ago, Eagles Dare said:

Saw one Sunday on a quad.  Didn't see him check any licenses, he was stopping and glassing the shoreline ahead with binocs.  

Wonder if he wrote anyone up.

I think in places like the ditch, they are looking for the clear violators and there are usually plenty. They obviously can't check everyone for a license on busy days but it would be good if people saw them at least spot checking for licenses. 

I have seen them checking for licenses in locations around Boston harbor where there are just a few guys fishing. Definitely more of a presence than in previous years.