Riptide

Way to go EPO!

Rate this topic

81 posts in this topic

On the evening of Thursday, May 16, 2019, Massachusetts Environmental Police Officers responded to a report in New Bedford of an individual keeping undersized striped bass and hiding them within a duffel bag. 

Officers encountered the individual as he was leaving the area and found him to be in possession of 6 striped bass ranging from 16-23 inches in length. The gear was seized and the individual was criminally summonsed for fishing without a saltwater permit, possession of undersized striped bass, and possession over the recreational limit. The fish were still alive and returned to the sea. 

The Massachusetts Environmental Police remind fishermen that the recreational limit for striped bass is one fish, a minimum of 28-inches.

To report poachers, please contact MEP Dispatch 24 hours a day, 7 days a week at 1-800-632-8075 or report online 

FB_IMG_1558121815305.jpg

1 hour ago, hydraman said:

They should post pictures of these people 

Not until they are prosecuted and fined will they then show pictures

This makes me think back. I was 18 going to URI, fishing in south county. I ran into someone who barely spoke any english. He flagged me dowm to come see what he had and in the rocks had a duffle bag full of like 14 inch bass. I tried telling him that it wasnt ok but he clearly had no idea. The kicker, i fished for hours and there was an epo officer in their truck the whole time. Didnt stop the guy when he left. Still regret not sayimg anything

Yes, in response to Bob G's inquiry; this poacher is under the increased fines and penalties schedule which went into effect last fall.  He's going to court so he wasn't issued a non-criminal citation and the court is often a crap shoot but there are further options available to the EPs and DMF if the court outcome isn't satisfactory.  The lure maker caught poaching bass a couple of years ago came out of the court with his gear returned and a dismissal for whatever reason so DMF and the EP went to work through the adjudicatory hearing process and banned him from fishing salt or fresh waters for three years. 

14 hours ago, Angler #1 said:

I see people on the news everyday that are suspects, and my news is fair and balanced. 

On 5/18/2019 at 8:02 AM, fishcrat said:

Yes, in response to Bob G's inquiry; this poacher is under the increased fines and penalties schedule which went into effect last fall.  He's going to court so he wasn't issued a non-criminal citation and the court is often a crap shoot but there are further options available to the EPs and DMF if the court outcome isn't satisfactory.  The lure maker caught poaching bass a couple of years ago came out of the court with his gear returned and a dismissal for whatever reason so DMF and the EP went to work through the adjudicatory hearing process and banned him from fishing salt or fresh waters for three years. 

yet he's still selling plugs to all the shops? Yeah that makes sense,

On 5/17/2019 at 7:15 PM, Angler #1 said:

which is total bs if you ask me. Up here in NH you get arrested your picture is all over social media. 

On 5/18/2019 at 8:02 AM, fishcrat said:

.  The lure maker caught poaching bass a couple of years ago came out of the court with his gear returned and a dismissal for whatever reason so DMF and the EP went to work through the adjudicatory hearing process and banned him from fishing salt or fresh waters for three years. 

He wasn't banned from fishing entirely, just from fishing MA waters.