Angler #1

Railroad stop

Rate this topic

43 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, b-ware said:

The tracks and right of way are NOT owned by the railroad  The Comm of Mass owns the right of way and reguardless of who owns what was a building permit issued???????????

Bernie........so who does own the steel/iron tracks?  

1 min ago, Joe G said:

Bernie........so who does own the steel/iron tracks?  

Good question Joe, up here we have a short line RR like the Cape and when the track were re-furbished the State picked up the tab for materials and labor.  As a sub contractor we had to submit a certified payroll and expense vouchers every two weeks and a total statement was submitted every month and we were payed every month.  With that being said I would have to guess the State owns the land and trackage, signals bridges ect. (except the RR bridge over the Canal).

The train bridge over the narrows at the BB and Wareham line was just replaced, perhaps a little research there might shed a little light on your question...……….

Posted (edited) · Report post

Joe the latest news is that Cape Rail Inc leases the land  and owns  rails, engines and cars At one time it operated under the name of the Cape Cod Central Railroad under the direction of the Massachusetts Department of transportation . Some interesting reading for sure when it comes to this topic

Me thinks the big thing here is that the Mass DOT own the ground and are tied into moving passengers from other locations . The rail company that moves the garbage is under another name

It was also noted that some of the tracks are also owned by the Federal Government and also the Army Corp 

Edited by Angler #1

28 mins ago, b-ware said:

…...  With that being said I would have to guess the State owns the land and trackage, signals bridges ect. (except the RR bridge over the Canal).

.....……….

13 mins ago, Angler #1 said:

Joe the latest news is that Cape Rail Inc owns the tracks and rail engines and cars....

Well, two different answers.

I did some very quick on line research and it states that the Commonwealth of MA through the MA DOT owns most of the tracks and beds on Cape Cod.  MA DOT then leases said items to the railway operating companies.

If I have time, I'll call or try to get into the Bourne Tax Assessors web site and ferret out who pays taxes on said property.  

Joe this seems to be a confusing situation to say the least. In one place it is stated that the Mass DOT own them and in another place it lists the Cape Rail Own inc owning  them. Perhaps they both own some part of the track ? The right to operate however apparently is leased by the Mass DOT to who ever is running the trains on the tracks . I think that is an agreeable  point ? This Is or was the called the Cape Cod Central Railroad and is part of the Cape Rail Inc . in a an attempt to follow this process it has seen many changes over the years , bought and sold numerous times . Now that also is an interesting question Joe as to who if any taxes are paid for the land that these tracks are sitting on . We have some land here in Sandwich that not only has a station on it, but a side car area, and a few miles of tracks I will also see if they pay any taxes on it.

Joe if all is the same I doubt that the state pays any taxes to the towns . Unless a payment in lieu of taxes was worked out between the town and state . From my understanding they are not responsible to pay any . We get a small fee for Shawme, but nothing for Scusset and or the Base which has land in these places. 

2 hours ago, Angler #1 said:

... The right to operate however apparently is leased by the Mass DOT to who ever is running the trains on the tracks . I think that is an agreeable  point ?.....

I've already said that in post # 34.   ;)

2 hours ago, Angler #1 said:

Joe if all is the same I doubt that the state pays any taxes to the towns . Unless a payment in lieu of taxes was worked out between the town and state . From my understanding they are not responsible to pay any . We get a small fee for Shawme, but nothing for Scusset and or the Base which has land in these places. 

A payment in other than cash you think.........a quid pro quo of sorts? 

4 hours ago, Joe G said:

I've already said that in post # 34.   ;)

And the point being made is that perhaps if you look at post 29 and 33 it was also mentioned:howdy:

27 mins ago, capequahog said:

What’s a round trip ticket from Boston gonna cost on this purported Cape Cannonball that’s about to carry the masses to the canal ?

For a number of inner city kids, the cost is zero.  Kids are selected by lottery and the funding is provided by Boston Mayor Walsh's Community Outreach Program.

So it’s basically 35 or 40 $ a head for a round trip ticket per the web site, not buying any big influx of people just to fish the canal getting here by train