Angler #1

Railroad stop

Rate this topic

43 posts in this topic

Heaven forbid, families from Boston or even Brockton will come down to enjoy a day near the water and even take some of "our fish" home. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Joe G said:

 

Carl, interesting you bring that up because I have some intel. but it is not related to installing barriers along the track.

 

Can't divulge where I got this, but its source is solid and within the Perry Ave rank and file.

 

Those long poles will be placed length wise, on the ground, parallel to and along Sandwich Rd. to inhibit fisherman from parking along both sides of certain sections of Sandwich Rd.....for one, think Split Rock.

 

A number of accidents, a few tragic, happened over the years from vehicle doors opening into oncoming traffic and fisherman dodging traffic, running across the road to and from the Canal.  

 

That road is downright dangerous during a heavy blitz, not only for the fisherman who choose to park along that road, but for the drivers as well.

 

 

 

 

 

I'm not sure about this one Joe? Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that a state hwy? Why would the state abandon the long established use of metal guardrails or cables in place of telephone poles?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, bob_G said:

…. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that a state hwy? Why would the state abandon the long established use of metal guardrails or cables in place of telephone poles?

 

State Highway?  I believe your correct.  However, Perry Ave., being an interested party, would have been notified as a matter of SOP. 

 

I'm guessing cost may have been the issue with the state.  Poles are less costly to put in place and are highly maneuverable when compared with metal guardrails/cables.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Joe G said:

State Highway?  I believe your correct.  However, Perry Ave., being an interested party, would have been notified as a matter of SOP. 

 

I'm guessing cost may have been the issue with the state.  Poles are less costly to put in place and are highly maneuverable when compared with metal guardrails/cables.

Little off there Joe, metal guard rails are simple and cost effective, the upright of the guard rail system is driven, by a vibrating and drop hammer machine to the desired depth and the guard rails themselves are then bolted to the uprights.  quick and efficient.  If they were to use wooden poles, hold would have to be dug, uprights placed in the holes backfilled and tamped and then the cross pieces affixed.  The metal guard rail system we see on our highways is the only approved system.

 

Looking at the stockpile of poles 6" minus rip rap and soil I would have to say it is for some kind of erosion control project...…………...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎5‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 0:01 PM, Angler #1 said:

under the Bourne bridge is about to be completed. This should cause a few discussions among the fishing brethren that use this area to fish

From what I understand it is an un-permitted structure built on State property...………………..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 mins ago, b-ware said:

Little off there Joe, metal guard rails are simple and cost effective, the upright of the guard rail system is driven, by a vibrating and drop hammer machine to the desired depth and the guard rails themselves are then bolted to the uprights.  quick and efficient.  If they were to use wooden poles, hold would have to be adug, uprights placed in the holes backfilled and tamped nd then the cross pieces affixed.  The metal guard rail system we see on our highways is the only approved system.

 

Looking at the stockpile of poles 6" minus rip rap and soil I would have to say it is for some kind of erosion control project...…………...

No, no, no.   :dismay:

 

Reread my post.  The poles will be placed, on the ground, length wise, end to end.  No digging required.  They will be placed in said manner only to prevent vehicles from parking along Sandwich Rd.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 mins ago, Joe G said:

No, no, no.   :dismay:

 

Reread my post.  The poles will be placed, on the ground, length wise, end to end.  No digging required.  They will be placed in said manner only to prevent vehicles from parking along Sandwich Rd.

 

 

Do you really think so...……...What happens when a vehicle drifts off the roadway and hits one?????????????

 

Besides that, if they were to be used on the roadway for any reason why would they be stored on Fed. property hundreds of feet from the nearest access point...…………….

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I dont know about this idea either Joe?

From a revenue point of view, wouldn't the town be light years ahead if they simply placed No Parking signs along all the areas in question? Good tides come around, BPD arrives and issues hundreds of $50 tickets.  Talk about the proverbial golden goose.

But your idea about laying telephone poles end to end on the ground seems wrought with issues. For instance, laying brown poles on the ground next to a highway. At night, these will be practically invisible, and cause acvidents. Thus defeating the reason they were meant to prevent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, b-ware said:

From what I understand it is an un-permitted structure built on State property...………………..

Bernie maybe so, however the tracks are owned by the railroad company with x amount of feet on either side. If they can install a fence along this corridor why not a platform Some sort of right of way issue . I do now that the town fathers are still pissed about not knowing about it ahead of time for what ever reason

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 mins ago, bob_G said:

I dont know about this idea either Joe?

....

 

37 mins ago, b-ware said:

Do you really think so...……...………….

 

Mind you, I'm only the messenger.   I'm getting all this info from a town employee who is pretty well tapped into the goings on in public works.  Could they have been mistaken, maybe so.  But this person has been spot on with so many tidbits of info, I'd be hesitant to throw the person under the bus at this point.

 

I say let's see how this plays out. 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Old guys and there tidbits haha retirement must really suck if the highlight of the day is talking about wooden poles and what they will be used for!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 mins ago, Angler #1 said:

Bernie maybe so, however the tracks are owned by the railroad company with x amount of feet on either side. If they can install a fence along this corridor why not a platform Some sort of right of way issue . I do now that the town fathers are still pissed about not knowing about it ahead of time for what ever reason

The tracks and right of way are NOT owned by the railroad  The Comm of Mass owns the right of way and reguardless of who owns what was a building permit issued???????????

 

36 mins ago, Joe G said:

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

38 mins ago, Joe G said:

 

 

Mind you, I'm only the messenger.   I'm getting all this info from a town employee who is pretty well tapped into the goings on in public works.  Could they have been mistaken, maybe so.  But this person has been spot on with so many tidbits of info, I'd be hesitant to throw the person under the bus at this point.

 

I say let's see how this plays out. 

 

 

 

Isn't this a State owned road?????????????????  If so parking is not allowed on State owned roads...……..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

To be technical about the whole issue perhaps one could say that if the state did own the land  they have been leased it  to the Owners of the rail line and that the railroad line has the right of way if that makes any more sense? In any case the rail line does what it wants from what I have seen in recent times when it come to transportation along this corridor When the fence goes up one would expect some sort of authorization from the Army Corp or not? 

Edited by Angler #1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, b-ware said:

 

Isn't this a State owned road?????????????????  If so parking is not allowed on State owned roads...……..

Parking has been allowed along this road ever since I can recall fishing the canal I have never seen any signs saying no parking allowed. One would think that would be the first order of business in order to enforce it if that is the case. THe state road has 10 feet on each side they control like any other road that I am aware of . Then you have Army Corp, state land and then Army Corp property if we make the assumption that the rail road bed is state owned.

Edited by Angler #1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.