Surfrat815

How much time do you give a spot?

Rate this topic

25 posts in this topic

If you've caught fish at that spot before and think you have the tides right I say wait it out.  Once you start moving around to different spots its makes it hard to stop. My 2 cents.

If something brings me to a spot there's a reason for it.

Sometimes they have lock jaw or they're chasing bait

elsewhere. To make a long story short. I like the structure.

I'll keep playing that number until I hit it! ;)

Thanks for the input fellas. For me if it's a spot that's a bit of a hike, I'll most likely wait it out for a few hours especially if it's a new spot that looks productive. But I also don't like wasting time if there's no fish there. That's when the urge to move kicks in. I don't know I guess it's just something you learn over time, when to stay vs when to move

I think that the answer should be dictated by your time and schedule.  I have spent many nights and days jumping spot to spot and it has yielded an array of results.  I have also parked it in two boot ruts for hours.

A "spot" can change dramatically over the period of 30-40 minutes. Play with depth and speed, but also keep an eye on other signs of life.  Look and listen for birds, bait, wind direction, bugs. Any sign of life is a good one, and we often are so preoccupied with gear and tackle that we forget to pay attention to our surroundings.

7 hours ago, KinFisher said:

I think that the answer should be dictated by your time and schedule.  I have spent many nights and days jumping spot to spot and it has yielded an array of results.  I have also parked it in two boot ruts for hours.

A "spot" can change dramatically over the period of 30-40 minutes. Play with depth and speed, but also keep an eye on other signs of life.  Look and listen for birds, bait, wind direction, bugs. Any sign of life is a good one, and we often are so preoccupied with gear and tackle that we forget to pay attention to our surroundings.

It really is crazy how quickly things can go from dead to a blitz. 

16 mins ago, otiscop said:

At least as long as it takes to smoke a good cigar, maybe two if I’m feeling lazy.

If I know the spot has produced yesterday or looks like it holds fish as tides are changing, like a hole or cut on low tide, and should be good as tide rising, I will hang with it my entire fishing day. Have seen it work both ways many times, they bit here yesterday and today nothing, or nothing yesterday and are killing it today.....that is fishing, nothing for sure in the fishing world. Only thing for sure is you won't catch them if you are not there.