How much time do you give a spot?

Rate this topic

Surfrat815

How do you guys like to fish? I usually give a spot 30-45 minutes before I head to a different one if there's no action there. I just wonder if I'm missing out by not waiting it out and fishing that spot long enough on a particular tide...

Edited by Surfrat815

I'm my case it takes me 30-45 plus to get to spots I want to fish. So once I'm there I'm not about to move after that short of a time in the water. 2-3 hrs is what I shoot for. I like to go to spots that offer a few different ways to fish so you have options. I would change your tactics before moving that soon. Having your line in the water is better than chasing spots and driving around

It's different everytime I fish. Sometimes I don't feel like moving around a lot so I'll just dig in and work that spot for my entire outing. Other times, I'll start fishing  before I get t the exact spot I planned to fish. It's just a way for me to check things out on the way to where I originally intended to go.  I'm simply covering additional water on the way to my destination. In cases like that, I won't spend more than 10 minutes tossing lures because I'm really on my way somewhere else. 

I dont think there is a right answer. I like moving alot when I'm fishing I'll sometimes walk two miles down the beach hitting all the cuts spending 10 minutes putting the plug in different spots within that cut. I've caught plenty of fish coming back to a spot I already hit which tells me they are always on the move. 

Really depends. If I am fishing a spot that I know well on a specific tide that has produced for me in the past, then I will likely only give it 30-40min before determining there are “no” fish to be caught. On the other hand if I am fishing a relatively new area, or if I do not know what tide, wind, is favorable in a area, then I am likely to give it at least 2 hours. This also depends of course on the accessibility of the spot, if I have to walk 30 minutes to reach my spot than I am more likely to fish it vs say a spot where I park and am fishing in 5 minutes.

Depends. Specifically, my confidence in a spot at a particular time, the effort required to get in and out, my total time available to fish that day, whether I've made broad statements regarding providing fish at a specific event, etc.

Massachusetts EPO:

1-800-632-8075

Depends on a few factors. If the tide’s dead, I’m going to wait at least until it picks up again. If there is bait or other life around, I’ll give it up to an hour before moving. If it’s lifeless, probably just a half hour.

A lot of my usual spots are decent hikes so I'm not really moving around too much. My most reliable patterns have come from staying even when I "shouldn't", so I always think it's worth it to really fish a spot as hard as you can. You never know what you may find. 

(*member formerly known as 'Always_NoFo')

First 4 to 5 years could be rough but definitely, after 6th year if no fish was cut I may start thinking to move to different spot, in next few years.

Bad day fishing is still much better than good day work.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him had better take a much closer look at the American Indian.
                                                                                     - Henry Ford-