Anthony93

Penn "Greenie" Color Match

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

Hey guys, brand new member here.  I've recently begun restoring some old Penn 710 "greenie" spinning reels and this site has been a huge help!  The one thing I had trouble finding though was up to date info on a durable color matched paint.  Long story short, I ended up sending in rotor to LCW (duracoat's manufacturer) for a custom color match.  Not only did they match the paint for me, but according to the rep there, they liked the color so much they decided to start carrying it.  They've named it "Deep Sea Green" and it is currently their color of the month.  I've been out of town for work a lot recently, so I haven't had a chance to try it out yet; I'll post some photos when I have.  Hopefully this will help some of you guys out!

My Penn green is from a spray can I purchased on Flebay. It was mixed by a company called CFI. They matched any paint color. They are long out of business.

The original Penn 700's were a differant shade of green, darker than the later 716, 714, 712, 711, 710, and 713. The 704 was never painted green, they used a matalic blue green. When the Z series came out the green was discontinued and they all became black. There are some 710 .& 712 pre Z's painted black, flat or gloss. The 720 was also never green being blue or brown prior to the Z's.

On 5/18/2019 at 11:51 AM, handi2 said:

When i was repainting them in the late 80’s it was a Fiat green that was matched at an auto body shop.

Yes,,,,that's the best ticket,,,, auto paint supplier can match it,,,,,,,,:)