Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Big Will

Bluefish vs striped bass?

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Big Will said:

I use a conventional and just had my reel in freespool. Toward the end when it got later and I upped my leader to 80 to avoid getting cut off and losing more rigs I'd get pickups and they'd drop it. Maybe I should fish lures 

You holding your rod or are you using a holder. 80 lb is ok I primarily use 80 when I’m after big bass. I don’t like to keep it in freespool I fish conventional I like to feel the fish take bow down and hit or reel in if fish is running towards you. If I’m on bass that are really finicky I’ll free spool it but control it with my thumb this way I give the bass more time to pick up the bait and swallow. Some time a big bass picks up the bait like a schoolie before you know it your tight on a big girl. GL

1 min ago, hydraman said:

You holding your rod or are you using a holder. 80 lb is ok I primarily use 80 when I’m after big bass. I don’t like to keep it in freespool I fish conventional I like to feel the fish take bow down and hit or reel in if fish is running towards you. If I’m on bass that are really finicky I’ll free spool it but control it with my thumb this way I give the bass more time to pick up the bait and swallow. Some time a big bass picks up the bait like a schoolie before you know it your tight on a big girl. GL

I never use a rod holder. Lose too many fish like that. If some of them were bass they were real finicky