Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Big Will

Bluefish vs striped bass?

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Every spot I've gone to in the last few weeks I've found big bluefish almost immediately. In a situation such as this should I stick around in hopes of striped bass being in the same area? Or should I move to a different spot? I've tried fishing bunker heads and the blues will run with them and drop it. I guess what I'm asking is are the bluefish a sign that im fishing in the right places? Some of these bluefish were really big. I kept getting my leaders cut when fishing bait, I've always thought that when it came to big bluefish they would share similar feeding habits especially with the abundance of bunker in these areas. 

Edited by Big Will

I think it depends on where you are fishing.  I noticed out back the blues chased the bass away, but I find them both out front.  

10 mins ago, Jimo95 said:

I think it depends on where you are fishing.  I noticed out back the blues chased the bass away, but I find them both out front.  

Yeah this is all out back. I'd think the larger bass wouldn't be bothered by the bluefish. I remember being told by a few people that the bass would come through after the bluefish to pick up the scraps left behind. I did cut one bluefish open that I brought home and the stomach was full of just bunker tails. 

1 min ago, Big Will said:

I remember being told by a few people that the bass would come through after the bluefish to pick up the scraps left behind.

Yes. Not always though, obviously. In my experience, depending on the size of the bass and blues, if I'm on bass and a school of blues move in the bass move out. If they stay in the area they'll come back again once the blues move out. But if the blues are small and the bass are larger the bass stay. It's just tough to get to them through the more aggressive blues.

11 mins ago, chitala383 said:

Yes. Not always though, obviously. In my experience, depending on the size of the bass and blues, if I'm on bass and a school of blues move in the bass move out. If they stay in the area they'll come back again once the blues move out. But if the blues are small and the bass are larger the bass stay. It's just tough to get to them through the more aggressive blues.

But do you think that just moving down the beach to get rid of them might be the ticket or move to a new location completely? Sometimes just finding fish is nice, especially ones that fight like those big blues but I'm thinking there should be some big bass around right now and everywhere I end up its just more bluefish on the bunker. Maybe it's time to move out front but all the bait is in the back. 

23 mins ago, Big Will said:

But do you think that just moving down the beach to get rid of them might be the ticket or move to a new location completely? Sometimes just finding fish is nice, especially ones that fight like those big blues but I'm thinking there should be some big bass around right now and everywhere I end up its just more bluefish on the bunker. Maybe it's time to move out front but all the bait is in the back. 

You need to fish night at the same spots the blues are feeding try to find the right part of the tide. If your on big blues your in the right spot. Fish that spot sundown to night time the big bass will hit when the light changes or when it gets dark after 30 min to an hour.  If the tide is better in the middle of the night get some rest save your bunker and try to time it right. 

1 hour ago, hydraman said:

You need to fish night at the same spots the blues are feeding try to find the right part of the tide. If your on big blues your in the right spot. Fish that spot sundown to night time the big bass will hit when the light changes or when it gets dark after 30 min to an hour.  If the tide is better in the middle of the night get some rest save your bunker and try to time it right. 

Good advice right here.

7 hours ago, hydraman said:

Thanks! I'll give it a try. It was at night last week btw I stayed out til 2 and most of the bluefish were around 9-12 on an incoming tide. Didnt stay awake for outgoing. Tonight I'll be fishing outgoing.tide mostly 

Posted (edited) · Report post

29 mins ago, ChumSlickJon said:

What makes you think it's bluefish dropping those bunker heads? 

There was teeth marks on the meat of the head. But I got run offs on chunks that kept getting dropped that were lighter pick ups with no sign of marks 

Edited by Big Will

1 hour ago, ChumSlickJon said:

I'm sure some were blues but guarantee there was bass knawing on them.  

This is def true you need to give the bass time to take that head. Sometimes bass hit hard but others they nibble and pick up is slow.  

I guess if you’re fishing bait you are already on the bottom. If it were lures, I’d recommend fishing a bit deeper. When both have been present I’ve found the bass under the blues.  Maybe they really are picking up scraps. 

2 hours ago, hydraman said:

This is def true you need to give the bass time to take that head. Sometimes bass hit hard but others they nibble and pick up is slow.  

I use a conventional and just had my reel in freespool. Toward the end when it got later and I upped my leader to 80 to avoid getting cut off and losing more rigs I'd get pickups and they'd drop it. Maybe I should fish lures 

I feel bass tend towards smaller baitfish, and blues can and will take any bait. When bait is mixed or plentiful you sometimes get both species feeding simultaneously. I LL bunker often on the kayak, and catch only bluefish, only when chunking do I see a bass. I prefer bluefish because they fight harder, and if you wish to harvest a fish, any size is legal.