ferret

crabbing 2019

Rate this topic

24 posts in this topic

I have a trap in the water at my dock on the shrews and have been getting a few crabs here and there for several weeks. Some keepers size. But numbers haven’t been great yet. All the rain isn’t helping. But they’re definitely around.

3 hours ago, Eric_S said:

I have a trap in the water at my dock on the shrews and have been getting a few crabs here and there for several weeks. Some keepers size. But numbers haven’t been great yet. All the rain isn’t helping. But they’re definitely around.

When we setting a long line off your dock? I’m thinking 25, maybe 30 traps.

15 mins ago, JoeyZac said:

The crabs have been out in force for a month.

I dunno how much of a difference it makes, buy you are further south, went to NOAA to compare water temps, what happened to the Greta Bay NOAA buoy, it broke?

Water temp absolutely matters.  Once we get to about 45 down here, they start trickling out.  Once we hit 50, it's game on.

1 hour ago, bbfish said:

When we setting a long line off your dock? I’m thinking 25, maybe 30 traps.

There’s no fun in that. I have 15 topless traps that I run out in the main river if you ever want to go. I go all the time in summer.

Gonna put some seabass racks in my crab trap. Maybe that will get the crabs going. They’re probably sick of dying rotten bunker.

7 mins ago, Eric_S said:

There’s no fun in that. I have 15 topless traps that I run out in the main river if you ever want to go. I go all the time in summer.

Gonna put some seabass racks in my crab trap. Maybe that will get the crabs going. They’re probably sick of dying rotten bunker.

I’m more of a topwater bite piling scooper.

13 mins ago, bbfish said:

I’m more of a topwater bite piling scooper.

really? that's like the crabbing equivalent of snagging and dropping bunker for stripers

42 mins ago, ferret said:

really? that's like the crabbing equivalent of snagging and dropping bunker for stripers

Ive been known to do both.

22 mins ago, Eric_S said:

The bigger males are lurking way down deep on the bottom...in like 5 ft of water. Traps are the way to go.

It ain’t easy but it’s honest work.

They are here is S Jersey.  Got some decent size males and females last weekend although the numbers weren't that great.  I think all of the rain screwed them up  .Ended up with 10 males between 5-6" and threw back as many females around the same size.  All full of meat.    Should be good to go this weekend and next.  Game on.

BBFish- are you scapping crabs?  At night?