VanStaalSteve

Original Fireline actual breaking strength?

Rate this topic

65 posts in this topic

44 mins ago, hookmeup said:

Aquaholik’s thread would be the first place I’d search

Thanks , but I checked his extensive list and original fireline in 14 and 20 pound tests are not listed? 

2 hours ago, VanStaalSteve said:

Hi, does anyone know the actual breaking strength of 14 pound test Berkeley Original Fireline? Thanks

That original stuff that used to have all the little fuzz on it was so strong that more than once I broke Bombers in half attempting to free them from the rocks

15 mins ago, Sweetwater said:

14 breaks a little shy of 35 pounds

Around 32 if I remember correctly. Didn't 20 break at like 53?

Steve the "Infisherman" magazine had a article a few years back on the breaking strength of fireline. I cant find it online ,if the magazine rotates to the top of the heap i will save it

14 mins ago, derekh said:

Steve the "Infisherman" magazine had a article a few years back on the breaking strength of fireline. I cant find it online ,if the magazine rotates to the top of the heap i will save it

Thank you

4 hours ago, VanStaalSteve said:

Hi, does anyone know the actual breaking strength of 14 pound test Berkeley Original Fireline? Thanks

According to Aquaholik Lee,  the ABS of Fireline 15# is 29.00#.

Posted (edited) · Report post

8 hours ago, RockRonin said:

According to Aquaholik Lee,  the ABS of Fireline 15# is 29.00#.

? I am interested in 14 lb. test. Original  Fire line is not made in 15? But thanks anyway.

Edited by VanStaalSteve

2 hours ago, VanStaalSteve said:

? I am interested in 14 lb. test. Original  Fire line is not made in 15? But thanks anyway.

Understood, the 14# wasn't listed on the Chart of charts. I've pulled in some big fish with 14# braid fishing off boats.

Just curious did you recently have a break off and that is why you are asking?

Last season I was using Power Pro 50 but got broken off when fighting an Albie.  I used to use Fireline, considering going back.  Never had that issue once with Fireline. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

55 mins ago, rwilhelm said:

Just curious did you recently have a break off and that is why you are asking?

Last season I was using Power Pro 50 but got broken off when fighting an Albie.  I used to use Fireline, considering going back.  Never had that issue once with Fireline. 

No, I love fireline and use 10, 14 and 20 for the surf depending on condtions and what outfit I am using. I’d like to use 14 all the time even for larger fish because it casts much better than the 20 plus it is more user friendly on the VS150 I plan on using. I never had a problem with any pound test Fireline but I can’t say the same for braid I’ve used. I am even more confident in the 14 now I know it has a breaking strength of over 30 pounds. 

Edited by VanStaalSteve

On 17.5.2019. at 2:35 AM, XBMX said:

that used to have all the little fuzz on it

see, and then they decided that fuzzy is not good enough and that it needs improvement

smoothening

and voila, you get lesser thing, but smoother