coastalfreak

How do y'all like to cook your Panfish??

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Usually egg wash, flour and breading of my choice or making. Then pan or deep fry. Gotta make the hush puppies anyway, so usually deep fried. 

Add hot sauce and lemon. 

And cole slaw. 

Once in awhile, 'specially on bigger ones, even on striper filets, I crumble up Kelloggs corn flakes in a paper bag (As in pour the cereal in the bag, then reach in and crumble. Else it's a mess ) with a little flour, pepper, and some sorta hot powders. Then pan fry. 

Add hot sauce and lemon.

Add arroz roja and a nice salad.

Edited by Ben Lippen

Posted (edited) · Report post

Couple of eggs, a beer, salt, black, red and white pepper.  Add filets, marinate for a half to and hour.  Toss is 50/50 cornmeal and flour with more salt, black, red and white pepper then fry.

For the best tacos you'll ever have....Ripped this out of a F*S a decade ago and still use it.

Yes, it's a process and yes it is worth every bit of effort.   If you can't find the creama, good mayo mixed witih sour cream works almost as good.   I also highly recommend while you've got your oil hot, fry your corn tortillas into crispy shells.  Use a couple of pairs of tongs or a tong and wide spatula.  Do that before you cook the fish.

Ingredients**
- 6 largemouth bass fillets, skin and lateral line removed, cut into 3x1-inch strips
- 1 large egg, separated into yolk and white
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1⁄2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup beer or water
- 1 cup crema mexicana*
- 2 tsp. chipotles in adobo, chopped*
- 4 cups plus 1 Tbsp. peanut or vegetable oil
- 6 oz. fresh chorizo sausage
- 12 corn tortillas
- 2 limes
- 2 cups green or red cabbage, shredded fine
- Kosher salt, to taste

*Crema mexicana and chipotles in adobo are available at most Latino markets. Many grocery stores stock crema media, a slightly sweeter variation. (If using this, add a teaspoon of salt to offset the sweetness.)

Directions:
1. Mix the egg yolk, flour, salt, pepper, and beer or water together until you have a pancake-like batter. Refrigerate until ready to use, up to 24 hours.

2. Make the chipotle crema: Combine the crema mexicana with the chipotles--adobo sauce and all--in a food processor until smooth and pinkish.

3. Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a skillet over medium heat. Slice the chorizo lengthwise, peel off the thin casing, and chop. Cook the chorizo, using a wooden spoon to break the meat into pinto bean-size pieces, until very crisp, about 5 minutes. Drain and set aside.

4. In a large pot or deep fryer, heat the oil to 350 degrees. While it's heating, whisk the reserved egg white until stiff and fold it into the batter. When the oil is not quite fully heated, wrap the tortillas in aluminum foil and place in the oven, preheated to 350 degrees, until soft and warm. Dip the bass in the batter, coating the pieces well. Shake off any excess and fry in batches until crisp and golden brown. Drain on paper towels and lightly salt.

5. To serve, place two or three pieces of fish on a warm tortilla. Squeeze lime juice on them, scatter on a few bits of chorizo, and top with cabbage and dollops of salsa and crema, to taste. Serve immediately.

Edited by JaseB

1. Put some virgin olive oil in a pan.

2. Medium to high flame so the fillets sizzle. 

3. Sprinkle McCormick lemon & herb on the fillets. 

4. Flip as necessary and done when lightly browned. 

Simple and very good!  :th:

20190218_201238.jpg

On 5/25/2019 at 11:06 PM, night owl said:

1. Put some virgin olive oil in a pan.

2. Medium to high flame so the fillets sizzle. 

3. Sprinkle McCormick lemon & herb on the fillets. 

4. Flip as necessary and done when lightly browned. 

Simple and very good!  :th:

20190218_201238.jpg

Looks great but I would expect the olive oil to be too strong flavor over the fillets. Not so?

3 hours ago, Stonesipher said:

Looks great but I would expect the olive oil to be too strong flavor over the fillets. Not so?

Everybody I've shared it with likes it a lot. My daughter loves it and she's picky. In the end, it's taster's choice I guess. 

I get a little freaky. Prepare one dish of whipped egg wash and one dish of dry ingredients (all purpose flour, allspice, coriander, chipotle chilli, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika to give it more color, salt, and pepper in proportions that I can’t disclose. Gut and scale the whole fish, then wash it and pat it dry.

Get your favorite frying oil in a large skillet (about 1/4” deep) hot to the point that a drop of water makes it sizzle aggressively but not explosively and try to maintain that heat throughout the process. It takes adjusting based on the pan and the size of the fish. I prefer cast iron since once I get it up to temp, it’s relatively stable.

Thoroughly coat the fish inside and out with egg wash, turning it around a bit to make sure it’s even, then thoroughly coat that with the dry ingredients, turning and lightly shaking off excess as needed. After that, you’re just frying a fish. Try to do it with as little movement in the pan as possible. One flip. Dinner time