Sudsy

Home phone problem

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Through the cable system

Already replaced the modem - that wasn't the cause

If a call is made the phone doesn't hang up and it goes to that busy type signal

Tried different phones and that's not it

If I unplug the phone line from the modem twice - has to be twice, I get a dial tone

What can cause the system to not register the hanging up of the phone ??

Edited by Sudsy

Call the service provider. 

I've never had that issue but we did have a fee problems a few years ago with water getting into the box. In the old days, water in the phone lines usually meant some crackling in the ear piece. With digital, it's a different world. 

Service provider is the cable company - their responsibility ends at the modem

I replaced the modem yesterday - did nothing, still happening

Is the phone plugged directly into the modem or are you using house wiring between the modem and the phone? If the latter, plug directly into the modem.

You tried different phones. Phones from your same set or did you go borrow a neighbor's phone? If the neighbor's phone does the same thing it's the company. If it works, it's your phones. Right?

I had an issue a while back.  Internet provider who installed phone service didn’t disconnect the old land line from the house wiring.  I think what sparked the problem was ground on the land line box had corroded and broken. 

I still have a home phone for the sole reason it makes a good phone call, Cell phones are great for taking pictures but they suck for phone calls. The audio quality sounds like you are in witness protection and the guy talking has no idea the listeners are the ones that suffer. If I am on an important call I cannot do it from a cell if I am in my house. If I am out I apologize for the ****** audio quality when I join on a cell. 

11 hours ago, JimW said:

I had an issue a while back.  Internet provider who installed phone service didn’t disconnect the old land line from the house wiring.  I think what sparked the problem was ground on the land line box had corroded and broken. 

Probably this. I have had analog setups where noise level on line caused it to stay off hook. Digital circuit on a modem shouldnt have that problem. 

Maybe one of your phones is bad. Disconnect all phones from their wall jacks or wall outlets. One at a time reconnect & test if the problem is solved. If it is, move on to the next phone etc to see which phone is causing the problem.

I still use a landline copper twisted pair.  No cell service due to being in a valley. I won't use an IP type phone service for the simple reason, the POTS works if power is lost and the home fire and intrusion alarm system is connected to it.

As one poster suggested try each phone directly at the modem.

Edited by rwalter7

1 hour ago, rwalter7 said:

the POTS works if power is lost

The only good thing about that old system. Day after Sandy, neighbors from all around were across the street from me using that guys landline. I did too, and was the first.

Funny fact about that day, Tammy called me on my cell from Fla. and got thru, and then Stax called me from frickin Australia and got thru. All of my local sisters, at the time, had landlines. So once I checked on them, the world went dark again save for tammy and Stax's calls.

On 5/16/2019 at 10:29 PM, Kml said:

I still have a home phone for the sole reason it makes a good phone call, Cell phones are great for taking pictures but they suck for phone calls. The audio quality sounds like you are in witness protection and the guy talking has no idea the listeners are the ones that suffer. If I am on an important call I cannot do it from a cell if I am in my house. If I am out I apologize for the ****** audio quality when I join on a cell. 

Never had an issue from the other side of the river.  I had to get a land line after we moved back in because it was cheaper.  My wife made me buy a cordless phone and within 30 seconds of plugging into the verizon box i got a telemarketer call.  Left it plugged in for a month...couldn't take it anymore.

2 hours ago, Fly By Nite said:

Never had an issue from the other side of the river.  I had to get a land line after we moved back in because it was cheaper.  My wife made me buy a cordless phone and within 30 seconds of plugging into the verizon box i got a telemarketer call.  Left it plugged in for a month...couldn't take it anymore.

Telemarketers are everywhere now. Nothing is safe. I don't answer a cell call if it is not in my contacts. I don't get as much on the land line but I generally keep the ringer very low or off and do not pick up for incoming calls I don't know.

It is still better for work calls for me.