Jollyrodger

TA Clips on Soft Plastics

Rate this topic

26 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, ThrowinPlugs said:

Usually I like using a no slip loop knot or rapala knot for shads especially because they tend to swim better imho. When I use a TA clip they seem to swim erratically but not in a good way.

really?,,,I have never had a problem using a clip.

they swim freely with either one.
what kind of swim are you finding?

HH

6 hours ago, The Riddler said:

If you run an 8/0 Mustad hook with a hitchhiker for weightless bait the TA clips will rub and hang the up and impede action.  The f-11 breakaway equivalent won’t rub. 

exactly. 

Sorry Alberto... I went to the eagle claw fast link 40# clips for unweighted soft plastics.  Nearly the same size as the 75# TA clips with a thinner gauge wire haven’t bent or opened one and they’re much easier to use with wet cold hands.

On 5/16/2019 at 0:59 PM, Heavy Hooksetter said:

what about the knot?,,don't they see the knot?

HH

Yeah and they bite stuff that looks nothing like fish lol

Scaled down to the 50lb TA clips to use with the fishaholic finback shads on my lighter outfit. Normally I use 76 or 125. They worked well, but a few small schoolies and cocktails later they started bending out, and no I didnt have my drag locked. No bueno.

20190526_004345.jpg

On 5/26/2019 at 4:16 PM, ThrowinPlugs said:

Scaled down to the 50lb TA clips to use with the fishaholic finback shads on my lighter outfit. Normally I use 76 or 125. They worked well, but a few small schoolies and cocktails later they started bending out, and no I didnt have my drag locked. No bueno.

20190526_004345.jpg

Yeah, I’ve seen this on the TA 50s too. I only had one small pack and stopped using them. 

Ive seen my TA 75 clips do this too. On occasion. Usually if I grab something heavy gauge, like a large key ring, and put it on the lure side of the clip to help tighten down the knot.

I don’t do that anymore but it made me think about heavy gauge through wired wood plugs and also not using the paper clip style clips with an angled v at the ends vs the ones rounded at each end.