I tie directly because I feel that fish see the clip and don't bite

:headscratch: What about the hooks?

Don't the fish see the hooks? :headscratch:

5 mins ago, yogiiiboy said:

:headscratch: What about the hooks?

Don't the fish see the hooks? :headscratch:

red color hooks, because you know, red color disappear in water first. :laugh:

if the hook eye is still exposed after rigging it straight ill use a clip

if the plastic body sucks up over the hook eye on a sluggo or something when i have it rigged straight then ill tie direct, with a loop knot on lighter plastics

with the weighted worm hooks, like Owner Beasts, the screw that holds the nose of the plastic bait takes up room in the hooks eye and find the clip hangs up so ill tie direct also

albie snax, zoom flukes etc for funny fish, always tied direct

2 hours ago, GraniteStRockfish said:

if the hook eye is still exposed after rigging it straight ill use a clip

if the plastic body sucks up over the hook eye on a sluggo or something when i have it rigged straight then ill tie direct, with a loop knot on lighter plastics

with the weighted worm hooks, like Owner Beasts, the screw that holds the nose of the plastic bait takes up room in the hooks eye and find the clip hangs up so ill tie direct also

albie snax, zoom flukes etc for funny fish, always tied direct

That’s my one problem with the Beast hooks,  clip is constantly getting jammed up against the spring and doesn’t allow free movement. 

If you run an 8/0 Mustad hook with a hitchhiker for weightless bait the TA clips will rub and hang the up and impede action.  The f-11 breakaway equivalent won’t rub. 

Usually I like using a no slip loop knot or rapala knot for shads especially because they tend to swim better imho. When I use a TA clip they seem to swim erratically but not in a good way.

4 hours ago, juang123 said:

I tie directly because I feel that fish see the clip and don't bite

You may feel that they don't bite, but those of us who use them catch plenty of fish with them. Give it a try. 

Clips all the way for plastics on jig heads, tied direct for weedless. The some of the lure making supply sites have bulk clips that seem to work really well for pennies on the dollar. I picked up 100 75lb clips for about 8 bucks recently. 

I use the clips for just about all SW applications. For stuff with a small eye,  like weighted swim bait hooks or really small bucktails, the clip may get hung up. I have put a split ring on the eye before. Clip to the split ring. 

Lately, I have been pre-tying a short piece of mono or fluoro with a swivel attached. Clip to the swivel. 

(Palomar knot a swivel on 6” of 30 lbs line and cut off the tag. Slide the hook almost all the way up to the swivel and then tie with a clinch knot. I can usually get it to only about 1/2” of line between hook eye knot & swivel knot.)