Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FishermanTim

What's the "new" project in Duxbury???

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Hit the bridge last night only to find the public parking area closed off and filled with construction equipment.

Luckily I was able to (well I was going to no matter what) park ocean side lot.

I'm curious what "wet dream" project are they working on now?

How long will that lot be closed?

How many years will it take for them to complete whatever project this is?

All I can say is that if this "project" takes all year to complete, no resident fishing and day trips to the beach will not be possible.

Reminds me of a bridge repair project they did years ago where they closed off the bridge to cars for months, and the repair was the equivalent of a "Band-Aid on a bullet wound"....Are they using the MBTA infrastructure repair approach to these projects? (You know, spend millions in taxpayer $$ to maintain (not fix) an old structure/system)

Just curious.....

Posted (edited) · Report post

Funny, I was there yesterday afternoon trying for flounder for a couple hours starting at noon. When I first got there, had two hits, after that nada other than a bunch of calico crabs.

Anyway, I was pissed when I saw that parking lot closed for the amount of equipment they park in there, as my flounder spot is on that end of the bridge. Fortunately I have a handicapped placard and could park in one of the 2 handicaps spots they have on the street.

There was a construction truck parked on the bridge right near the channel. After a bit, one of the guys from that came walking by and I asked what was up. He said they were taking the "bands" off the pilings. Not sure what he meant by that, but also said they had two divers in the water.

About 2:00, they had a small motor boat dragging a "barge" (not much more than some logs and plywood) and they motored into the bayshore. A Bobcat with forklift extensions dragged the "barge" up above the high water line, and then the motor boat went on a trailer and was parked in the closed lot.

Why they felt they had to close the entire lot for the equipment that took up maybe 1/3 of it at most, no clue.

He did tell me the lot would be reopened by this weekend.

Edited by Steve in Mass

They installed some sort of fiberglass covers around a bunch of the worst rotted/damaged pilings a few years ago in an attempt to prolong their life but from what I can tell they haven't fared very well especially after that bad winter of 2015 when the ice damaged a bunch, maybe now they are just removing the ones that are left?  I don't think it will be long before the whole bridge will need to be rebuilt, imagine that nightmare. 

I wish they could replace it and add a walkway on both sides...

Dang, my "Captain Complainer" mode took over and I failed to mention that I caught a half dozen schoolies!

Sure felt good to feel those strong fights, even if they were schoolies...:hooked:

Edited by FishermanTim

I heard a rumor that the harbormaster won’t be patrolling the beaches or Manning the bridge, that Duxbury pd was taking over. Any truth to that? 

The bridge was rebuilt a number of years ago (perhaps as long as 20-25 years ago, it may be marked on the sign next to the bridge on the west side). It was closed for over a year, although they left it open to foot traffic and fishing during the rebuilding. The good thing about that is you could fish both sides with no hassles.

Edited by Steve in Mass