Irishfire18

Preferred braided line.

Rate this topic

55 posts in this topic

I always go back to Power Pro. The Slick V2 is nice...Maxcuatro is nicer. Learn to use a PR knot bobbin and you're golden.

I’ve posted in this before: they’re all fine initially, my concern is how long they last before fraying and breaking. I’ve gone through a bunch. So far I’m happiest with PP super slick and original PP which is often on sale. Don’t like J-braid 4 or 8 strand, hate all Spiderwire, particularly ultracast which dies almost immediately, I’m fine with Suffix, and Berkeley crystal but PP and slick last as long and are far less expensive.

1 hour ago, icarussound said:

I’ve posted in this before: they’re all fine initially, my concern is how long they last before fraying and breaking. I’ve gone through a bunch. So far I’m happiest with PP super slick and original PP which is often on sale. Don’t like J-braid 4 or 8 strand, hate all Spiderwire, particularly ultracast which dies almost immediately, I’m fine with Suffix, and Berkeley crystal but PP and slick last as long and are far less expensive.

+1 Agreed. For jetties or rocky beaches, I use PP original 50#. For open sand beaches, I use PP super slick 30#.  Rarely have line breakage or issues with this setup. 

Unfortunately you'll have to try a few to see how they cast and perform based on how you fish and what you fish with. I started with 30lb powerpro and didn't like the way it cast compared to the 15lb big game mono I have used for years with no issue. I now have 20lb power pro on the set up and like it more but with some wind and some lighter lures I don't like the way it casts. My next step is to put 15lb braid on an extra spool and try it. I'm also started to get annoyed with the knots with braid. I close the bale manually and actually use my finger to put tension on the first couple of turns. Still have issues more than I would like. I may actually spool up some 15lb big game and see how it goes. I have a bunch of that stuff still in inventory.

I go back and forth using braid and mono. Still can't decide if I would use one exclusively over the other. I hate the expense of braid and that  a bad wind knot can really screw up your fishing. Mono is much cheaper and more forgiving. I am Not loyal to one particular brand of braid. I'll use any premium brand that I can find a good deal on. However, I started experimenting with inexpensive Kast King braid last year and I have been favorably impressed. Its not as thin as powerpro and other premium braids but its plenty strong and represents great bang for your buck. 

Tried PP and didn't like it. Went to 832 and have been using it never since.

Original fireline on the old Penn although not actually braided. Works well.

Have not tried J or Jerry Brown.

The only braid that I've hated is j braid. I have used a lot of others - suffix, pp, berk products. I currently have PP slick on all my reels. I've been using only that for 3 years now with out any issues.

On 5/16/2019 at 2:16 PM, Jay in the Bay said:

30-40 lb. Sufix 832

Power Pro is crap.

2nd this

On 5/16/2019 at 3:37 PM, Irishfire18 said:

Thanks been using pp 30 looking to change not happy with it.

I switched to suffix from pp and never looked back.

Posted (edited)

Old Skool reels get Fireline.  New skool reels get Suffix 832.  Trying J-braid 8 strand, too early to tell.  Tried power pro, very dissatisfied.  Kast King is pretty good for the price, especially their newest line.

Edited by fatbikerjoe