My son

Rate this topic

Gwiz

Are you taking him fresh or salt?

Keep in mind the first rule of taking kids fishing, particularly if it's their first time, is that they actually catch fish.

I've taken almost every one of my nieces and nephews fishing at some point before the age of 12.

For some it was ice fishing, others it was fishing a small pond for sunfish.

In each case I made sure that some of the parents (usually my brothers and sisters) came along too.

The second rule is that kids will get bored if the action isn't somewhat consistent. They will give you some sign that it may be time to call it a day.

The third rule, which is mostly just common sense, is to make sure they use the restroom BEFORE you head out.

If you go to a spot with wildlife and things a kid can "look under" they can keep themselves occupied when things slow down.

If he take a liking to it you may have a fishing buddy for future trips...

Good luck and have fun!!!

Edited by FishermanTim
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!

All good points above.  Love taking my kids fishing but their attention span is small, and i have learned to not have a plan in mind but stay flexible and be ready to head home at any minute.  Worst thing to do is make them stay when they want to leave, cause then they wont want to go anymore.  Seems to get tougher and tougher to get them into consistent fishing. My 10yr old has started to do some night trips with me which has been fun and interesting.

My youngest (7) we do mostly freshwater, a bucket of shiners can keep them occupied for quite awhile. 

^^ I didnt even notice it didnt get censored, I guess anal is acceptable in SOL....

He has been fishing for years both fresh and salt. We will be fishing salt on cape. We own a home in Dennis . So nothing new for him there. It's just his first weekend away with the guys my uncle and another friend are going too. He's excited that "other guys " are going. Makes him feel like one of the guys. We will be fishing some schoolie spots and a little beach fishing. He has a 7' tide master and a 8'8" tsunami elite. 

I'm 44 and my brother is 40, and we still get all excited about going fishing with dad.  We've been at it since we were at least that young.  Great way to spend time together! 

We're heading out Monday.  I also get excited about picking out snacks...lol.