Black Sea Bass

Rate this topic

notime

I find that there are 3 fish that absolutely shine as ceviche - snapper, Black Sea bass and fluke. If you’re looking for something to blow everyone out of the park in the kitchen with - try this. 

Ceviche:

3 Black Sea bass fillets - chopped

1 small red onion - diced

1 yellow or orange pepper - diced

1 cucumber - seeded and diced

3 Roma tomatoes - seeded and diced

1 jalapeño pepper - seeded and diced

1 handful of cilantro - chopped

4-6 limes, juiced

Salt and pepper to taste

First, place your chopped fish into glass bowl and add enough lime juice to cover the fish. Cover and put in the fridge for an hour.

Next, prepare and combine all of the vegetables. Liberally salt and pepper and set aside. 

After an hour has passed, your fish should be white and cooked. I’ve found this step to be the most important step in ceviche - strain it and lightly squeeze the lime juice out of the fish. Discard the lime juice.

Next - combine all ingredients in the glass bowl, cover, and place in the fridge for 24 hours. It can be eaten immediately, but I find it to be much better after melding for a day.

Avocado Crema

1 5 Ounce container of plain Greek yogurt

1 ripe avocado

1 small handful of cilantro

1 squeeze of lime juice, to taste

Salt, to taste

Combine all ingredients in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth. I then cut the top off of a gallon zip lock, put the crema in the zip loc and tie it off, much like a cake decorator would do. When it is time to serve it, cut a small corner off of the bag and it will dispense nicely.

For the tostadas, I buy white or yellow corn tortillas in the Mexican aisle. Preheat the oven to 400°. Lightly coat each side in olive oil and salt to taste. Cook 4 minutes on each side on a baking pan. They will crisp as they cool, so don’t over cook them.

I don’t think that there is a fresher meal than ceviche and this recipe is off the hook. Perfect for those of you that are overwhelmed with BSB fillets. The fact that BSB is such a clean, firm white fish makes it perfect for this dish.

C7E099AD-559B-4094-92A0-8C67C45E0FFD.jpeg

A28F3B50-2588-4D14-B141-6661FE2552E2.jpeg

Edited by JTR

Went out Saturday in Buzzards Bay, strong SW winds to 25, did all I could to scrounge up 5 keepers. These guys have had thier shallow seasonal stay and are headed to deep water for the Summer. Virtually all previous known haunches were void of activity.

Overall, my average keeper size was about 20" with a largest at 24", all males brilliant blue.

C&R fems, my largest  PB at 19" and fat with eggs!

Color bait of the year most decidedly pink!

I may try for them in the deeps this Summer.

KIMG0856.JPG

2 hours ago, FishRatz said:

Went out Saturday in Buzzards Bay, strong SW winds to 25, did all I could to scrounge up 5 keepers. These guys have had thier shallow seasonal stay and are headed to deep water for the Summer. Virtually all previous known haunches were void of activity.

Overall, my average keeper size was about 20" with a largest at 24", all males brilliant blue.

C&R fems, my largest  PB at 19" and fat with eggs!

Color bait of the year most decidedly pink!

I may try for them in the deeps this Summer.

KIMG0856.JPG

Interesting tail of two boats I guess. I was out in BB yesterday and the only thing from your day that I experienced was the wind, ant it was brutal.

We had all the action we could handle and were catching loads of nice fish. I do believe they are on the way out though. As for pink, I don't think I have dropped down any other color for BSB in a decade.

bsb0615.jpeg

bsb0615_2 (2).jpeg

Embrace American Privilege

On Saturday, I didn't find much of any seabass on the inside shallow regions in 20 feet , where last 2 weeks were holding some pretty large fish consistently.

Finally found them in depths over 35 ft, and some larges ones in 45 ft. The male bright blue spawn colors have also begun to fade.

Sunday was unreasonable to try with the chop and winds.

Some years colors do matter IMO. One year silver/blue was on fire, other years a squid like color, amber, and other years a plain white.

But on most years pink always seems to work, but better for that on overcast days.