notime

Black Sea Bass

Rate this topic

114 posts in this topic

How old were the idiot girls who tried to feed the GW?  

If old enough to be considered close to adulthood, I think they're good contenders for a Darwin Award.

Found em today in the boat. Did not need to head out to  the ledge in all that nastiness with the SW blow.  Went to a new area and hit the deepest holes  and that seemed to be the most active. 34-38'.  2oz Bucktail Squid Spro's and Gulp and when they were really chowing send the spro down naked and you were on. Not rocket science and it was nice to get away from the work insanity for the day!

Hopefully I can get back down there Friday for one last trip for em. Has to be my favorite table fish which can be cooked so many different ways. 5 fish today gave me a big pile of meat. Maybe Friday will be too soon! Regardless I enjoyed a few fillets wrapped in Bacon on the grill.

seabass.jpg

We only had the half day available, got a half limit, no remarkable size. We each lost a bigger fish right at the top, me about 18", his was probably 20". As per my usual, we didn't measure for keepers, I have a good eye for length, and if it wasn't definitely 15" it goes back. A little tail pinching could have added a fish or two, but I'm rarely surprised when I do measure. Big scup, up to 18". Also a couple of sea robins to about 15".

I heard Nantucket Sound was good.  I did poorly in BB yesterday midday and I didn't see anyone else do well on Cleveland Ledge.  Found plenty of bass on the way home, however.   Didn't mark as much bait as usual. Nice being out there again, anyways. 

7 mins ago, numbskull said:

I didn't see anyone else do well on Cleveland Ledge. 

I saw the mass of boats over at Cleveland but the chop looked bad. Megansett had a good bite for a couple of hours. Concentrated then they kinda moved and came back on the outgoing. The SW should bump the water temps up making all areas better.

41 mins ago, The Riddler said:

I saw the mass of boats over at Cleveland but the chop looked bad. Megansett had a good bite for a couple of hours. Concentrated then they kinda moved and came back on the outgoing. The SW should bump the water temps up making all areas better.

I spoke with a guy at the ramp.   He was coming in and I was going out.   He looked at my boat and said your not going to CL are you?     I try to avoid the crowds anyway but I figured CL would be too rough.    Thankfully he confirmed it.  

We love sea bass, havent had any in years. Guess its one of the disadvantages of being a shore bound fisherman. Getting a large sea bass from shore is a rare event.

I was out for a bit on Saturday and caught a few decent ones, but, had to work for them.  I like jigging them and had to short drift a couple of spots and had to be right on them.  I had a buddy who anchored up and fished bait and he did a bit better than me.  Next weekend they should be filled in a little better and hopefully the jig bite will be on.  Can't wait to give me new accurate 300/ Major Craft Crosstage a proper work out.  Caught a few smaller ones on this set up and it is a blast for a rod reel combo that weights less than a pound.

sam