notime

Black Sea Bass

Rate this topic

114 posts in this topic

4 mins ago, AWetHooker said:

If I remember correctly about the two girls that got rolled, I thought I remember they were chasing and trying to feed the shark? 

I’ll take “Things You’re Not Supposed to Do” for a million Alex.

question.

we always fish wrecks in 60-80 ft in jersey and always use clam with good results.     anyone use metal jigs with single hook , not a treble, and put a teaser above that ?.  if so, do you use bait on either ?

4 mins ago, FizzyFish said:

Actually Aug  26, 2018

You're right I just checked my gallery. It was the same trip I caught a big albie that I took a pic of and the pic is dated the 26th 

1 hour ago, coolhandfluke said:

question.

we always fish wrecks in 60-80 ft in jersey and always use clam with good results.     anyone use metal jigs with single hook , not a treble, and put a teaser above that ?.  if so, do you use bait on either ?

I've gone baitless.   I use a jig with sluggo or ablie snax.  Helps cull out the small guys and porgies.   Also a lot easier since you don't have to cut up the bait.   With the kids, if things slow down a bit or we want porgies then I use squid.  This spring I'm going to try small jibs and gulp or similar bait for porgies.  See how I do.   

1 hour ago, coolhandfluke said:

question.

Its a  totally different fishery1a765ede_100_0298.jpeg . The BSB spawn in Buzzards bay during the spring and most of my fishing is 15 to 30 ft.  of water and from a kayak

We often use a spro bucktail tipped  with gulp or squid  and add a dropper above if its slow or go baitless when its  fishing is fast . 

We usually go baitless too because the scup are hard to get through with bait.  Generally use a bucktail or other jig with anything wiggly on the end, and when they're active, it's pretty constant.  

I'm interested in how everyone's eating these fish.     Me....I've done Ceviche, steamed it in a bamboo steamer with ginger and bok choy.    I'm looking forward to making a Cioppino Stew.  Typically I make this in the fall but have been craving it for a while now.   It's simple and straight forward cooking.  

What you guys got?  

Let us know how you all did today?   I’ll bet with opening day and the weather ramps were a bit crowded.  

I like BSB blackened, whole on the Grill or in tacos.   Or fish stew.  

I made a real nice Mango Chicken & Shrimp Curry last week.   I bet it would be nice to swap out the Chicken and use the Black Sea Bass instead.  

THree of us in boat all got our limits, but we had to do a little work. My report is in the ditch trolls if interested.

Son and I went out late morning today and caught some fish but it was tough going.   As expected lots of wind, which resulted in us launching and fishing in a different spot to keep us out of the wind a bit.  No large BSB or porgies.  Got a small striper which was a bonus.   Also did a little tog fishing and got one.   Water temp was 53 degrees.   We fished for about three hours so not a long day, but tide had bottomed out and he was ready to go.  Talking to some others at the ramp, seemed like we are off to a bit of a slow start.