notime

Black Sea Bass

Rate this topic

114 posts in this topic

Season opens up this weekend.  Anyone else looking forward to it?  Water temps seem a little colder than I would have expected for middle of May.  Been a wet, cold, and gray spring.  Seems temps are on the lower end of their preference.   Think it will have much of an impact?

I think there will be fish around , but not in the numbers we usually see for mid May . I think the big blue heads will be few and far between but should have no issues getting a limit

6 mins ago, AWetHooker said:

I'll be targeting them for the first time this weekend and I'm looking forward to it! Good luck

I'll be out Saturday and sunday. I was already getting them last weekend in my location so should have no problem. Going to try to limit out on seabass scup and tog

28 mins ago, NHfishbait said:

whey do big schools of bluefish usually make thier way to cape cod bay?

Some blues showed up on the south facing beaches already.

A very popular kayak spot in Buzzards Bay had a confirmed GWS sighting last year. No more kayaking out for sea bass for me.

AMF

2 hours ago, heyblue34 said:

A very popular kayak spot in Buzzards Bay had a confirmed GWS sighting last year. No more kayaking out for sea bass for me.

AMF

I was there when they spotted it and can confirm it was indeed a gws. I was on my way in from chasing albies and all the boats were huddled up. Pretty close to where they kayak fish

4 hours ago, heyblue34 said:

AMF

I'd be crapping my pants if I was in a yak and a great white came cruising by me, no thanks.

14 hours ago, SalmonAndStriper Stalker said:

I was there when they spotted it and can confirm it was indeed a gws. I was on my way in from chasing albies and all the boats were huddled up. Pretty close to where they kayak fish

Was it in September? I have not read or heard any reports of GWS in that area in May or June. However, it is quite the thought that a kayaker could be rolled by a shark. Several years ago two young and very foolish ladies were torpedoed by a GWS in Plymouth. Albeit they knew a shark was there and mistakenly entered the water in a kayak in search of it. 

BSB are beautiful fish, fun to catch, and good eating. My sincere hope is that we all act as good stewards of this fishery (and others as well), and that nobody gets attacked by a shark. It’s their world and we have to respect their awesome power. I’ll do so by fishing from terra firma. 

15 mins ago, heyblue34 said:

Was it in September? I have not read or heard any reports of GWS in that area in May or June. However, it is quite the thought that a kayaker could be rolled by a shark. Several years ago two young and very foolish ladies were torpedoed by a GWS in Plymouth. Albeit they knew a shark was there and mistakenly entered the water in a kayak in search of it. 

BSB are beautiful fish, fun to catch, and good eating. My sincere hope is that we all act as good stewards of this fishery (and others as well), and that nobody gets attacked by a shark. It’s their world and we have to respect their awesome power. I’ll do so by fishing from terra firma. 

Yes it was September