Humboldt

SOS newbie needs help

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

Hello, I’m new to the forum and I need help. I’m planning a beach trip to the outer banks in August and want to try surf fishing. I already have a rod I think will work a 9’6” heavy 3-12oz I think whisker seeker catfish rod but need opinions on a reel. I have it narrowed down to two Shimano Torium 14 hga , and the avet sx g2 mc. I want something that I can still use for catfish back home and on a yearly beach trip. Any insight on which may be better or other suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks 

Both nice reels. 

Comes down to your preference so try and go to a shop and check them both out if you can. I would get the avet has it has the addition of the MC. 

Both about the same weight with only an once difference. The Avet has slightly more drag at 20lbs, more line cap and more bearings so should make it more smother, but also cost a bit more at around $60 or so difference unless you can find used so that’s a factor as well.

You should be fine either way. Good luck and have fun on the trip. 

Dave, I am surprised to read a recommendation to fish an SX at 20 lb. drag.  Do you carry a supply of pinion bearings with you, or do you just not mind fishing with a crushed one?  The small Avets are great reels, but cannot be fished over recommended drag without ruining those bearing.  Many will even argue that fishing at the upper end of the recommended drag range results in unacceptably short bearing life.

Mike

Would casting heavy weights like 6 or 8 ounce plus bait be difficult on either reel? I’ve read that the Shimano has a centrifugal brake and avet is magnetic. Is one better or more preferable for surf casting than the other? 

Posted (edited) · Report post

He asked an opinion on those 2 reels and I would choose the avet with 20lb drag over the shimano with I think is 16lbs of drag :shrug: I also would choose the avet with the MC instead of the shimano cent. braking. I own 2 avet raptors because of such. One SXJ and one MXJ

Personally casting from shore I prefer spinners but that’s just my preference and what I’m used to. 

Edited by DaveBKNY

I think I’m leaning more towards the avet. does anyone know the mono capacity? I can only seem to find braid and I’m not the biggest fan of braid. If I want to run mono should I be looking at the mx instead for capacity and does the mc work as good on the mx size reels? Sorry for all the questions. This saltwater stuff is all new to me.