icarussound

Locking fishfinder cable?

8 posts in this topic

My transducer and power connections were getting corroded. Wd40 cleaned them out but... now the power cable slips out. I can’t get it to stay all the way in. I believe someone else has had this problem, did you find a solution? I’m tempted to soak the connectors in alcohol to de grease them. 

This is is a Lowrance 5 splitscreen or something.   

AHHH so you lubed it up and now can't keep it in, probably too sensitive.

I think you can use the rubbing alcohol but you will need friction. Id use a cloth or paper towel with some alcohol to get the outside part of the wire connector piece that you insert into the ff. For the port it self you will still need some friction as well, I'd try a Q-Tip or several with some rubbing alcohol, maybe try rubbing it with a few dry Q-Tips first then go in with the alcohol then dry again. Also, not sure if the rubbing alcohol will damage the connectors so I'd hold it upside down unless someone else can confirm they will be no damage.

I had this problem and posted about it. If you hold the connectors in for 30 seconds or so they should stay, but your de-greaser idea might work. This season they seem to be staying in without any extra effort so the only good news is the problem goes away eventually. 

Right, I’ll try it. Stupid design flaw in my mind not having a locking clip or somesuch. Out in the ocean I tied a rubber band to it and strapped it around the viewfinder  which helped a bit but  kept slipping. Good thing I knew where I was otherwise I’d still be out there.

I’ve had nothing but problems with these connections. When this dies, and It will, I’ll hit a store and look hard rather than buy online based in reviews. It’s a hook 2 5” btw.  Hmmmf.

raymarine dragon fly fish finders have locking cable connections.

Also only 1 cord to connect.  So far they seem pretty good.

If I fill the pin area with dielectric grease I have trouble locking the cable.

I need to put it on very sparingly. Also the menu is pretty easy to use.

I was under the impression all lowrance cables had locking collars, I know mine do. Bending the pins a tiny bit should give you enough friction to hold though.

The built in o ring on the connection when greased or wet will act like a bicycle  tire pump and not allow air to escape. You want a clean dry connection and you want to push it in slow to let the air escape. Once the o-ring gets worn its not a problem.I had the same problem when I added some dielectric grease to the plug.