Help me find a 10' lightweight conventional surf rod... under 150 bucks

Rate this topic

Thumb-Burner

I am desperately trying to find a rod under 150 bucks that is around a 1-3oz or 2-4 oz max actual rating...  (don't care about factory)..    there are several daiwas but can't find them in stock anywhere. while the pics of the okuma cedros csx CSX-S-1002M look perfect, literature says it's for spinning even though guides look really small.

I can find 9' rods and some 10 footers that are much heavier than i'm looking for..   Penn makes a 1-4 in batallion and prevail but i've held them and they are much beefier and stiffer than i'm looking for..

any ideas?  any of the low profile spinning rods that would fit the bill and work with conventional reels?

If you give a man a fish, he will eat for a day. But, if you teach a man to fish, he will spend all his money on fishing tackle and won't be able to afford to eat!

Okuma Rockaway, 1-3 oz

Edit

Not sure if it works with conventional reel.

Edited by Popasilov

Bad day fishing is still much better than good day work.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him had better take a much closer look at the American Indian.
                                                                                     - Henry Ford-

5 hours ago, CrashHard23 said:

Penn battalion 2-6.. 

You saw in my original post that the 1-4 batallion is heavier than I am looking for, right?

If you give a man a fish, he will eat for a day. But, if you teach a man to fish, he will spend all his money on fishing tackle and won't be able to afford to eat!

28 mins ago, Thumb-Burner said:

You saw in my original post that the 1-4 batallion is heavier than I am looking for, right?

I have a battalion but its not a 2-6. I believe it is a 1-4 or 2-4.  I will say that I also have a lami surf king 1-4 that is lighter than the battalion. Both these rods are slightly overrated for the ranges printed on their blanks. I have no complaints with either. 

I have several Daiwa rods in 9 and 10ft sizes. I would pick up a coastal SP rod. Seems to throw fine, even with a conventional. Really nice rod for the price. I also really like the white TD series. These rods are a fantastic value. They are faster than the SP rods

22 mins ago, Birdsnester said:

Tsunami Airwave $134.99.  This exact model is XH but others are lighter

5F210862-B937-4499-88B5-7C32FFF45DBE.jpeg

This is the only 10'er in conventional.  2-4 is spinning only.  I've held one in that is more in line with what I'm looking for

1 hour ago, 1badf350 said:

Try the Tsunami Airwave. I have one 10’ 2-4oz. It is pencil thin and super light. I love it. 

I want a conventional rod.  They don't make a conventional with that rating

I think your choices are very limited, close to none, for conventional rod, with that rating in that price rage.

You may want to try using spinning reel.

Is there any particular reason you do not want to use spinning reel?

Bad day fishing is still much better than good day work.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him had better take a much closer look at the American Indian.
                                                                                     - Henry Ford-

7 mins ago, CrashHard23 said:

I did see this in your first post but you said you held the 2-6... Have you actually casted the 2-6? It may feel stiff but its not. It should be rated around 1-4. I know because I have one.

Hmmmmmm?    Sorry for the confusion.   The one I held and thought was two heavy was the 1-4.  But from what you are saying perhaps it’s lighter action than I thought.   In fairness, the shop I checked it out in has 9’ ceiling and you can’t really get a good feel..   Perhaps I need to revisit.   I think it was the 10’ prevail that I held.  I may revisit.    Do you have the prevail or the battalion?   If it’s in a 10’, what is the lightest you think you could comfortably throw?  Is yours conventional or the equivalent spinning?   

1 hour ago, Thumb-Burner said:

Hmmmmmm?    Sorry for the confusion.   The one I held and thought was two heavy was the 1-4.  But from what you are saying perhaps it’s lighter action than I thought.   In fairness, the shop I checked it out in has 9’ ceiling and you can’t really get a good feel..   Perhaps I need to revisit.   I think it was the 10’ prevail that I held.  I may revisit.    Do you have the prevail or the battalion?   If it’s in a 10’, what is the lightest you think you could comfortably throw?  Is yours conventional or the equivalent spinning?   

I do not have the 10 prevail but I do have the 11 battalion conventional. I can throw down to about 1 oz no problem. It gets pretty soft going past 4oz. I have mine matched up with an Avet sx g2. 

Edited by CrashHard23