The Riddler

2019 Kayak Fishing Photos

134 posts in this topic

I know this post is getting old, But I just had to say that your best hookup that day was getting your daughter interested in the outdoors and I'm sure getting a treasured partner for life.

My kayak fishing career has officially started, although the initial attempt might best be categorized as "inauspicious."

That beast was my only hit. I had planned on finding some deeper feature with the T-Pod, but I forgot I had gotten a new phone since I last used it, and also forgot whatever I'd used for a password to link to it. The water was so murky, I could see two feet at most. If I tried to hug the bottom with a jig, a quickly collected a ball of shrubbery. That trophy yellow perch tracked down a tiny Kastmaster in a brief moment between the cast and the next forest of foliage.

Finally, lacking other options, I tied on a floating Rapala and paddled along the shoreline, to no avail. I also managed to become possibly the first person ever to snag a tree branch while trolling.

On the plus side, I liberated a fake Aglia and a fake Thill, on the minus side, I had to wait 20 minutes at the boat launch while a pair of dick mittons rigged a Crawdad half in the water.

IMG_20190713_170918939.jpg

Posted (edited) · Report post

22 mins ago, Dieseldog13 said:

Net it or gaff? 

Harpoon.

I got the T-Pod up and running once I got home. Stupid password format: exactly eight characters. I have no idea what I would have done with that. Had to do a reset.

Edited by ermghoti

This past winter my son has had a winter project going on in the basement. He was out fitting a kayak with all the necessary stuff and extras to go fishing.

Over the long holiday weekend we were going to test it out. He has done fluking/floundering with it. But we were going to target some striped bass. Something about trying to kayak on a gorgeous 4th of July weekend with a 1000 other boaters. We put the kayak into the back of my boat and headed out looking for some bait. After spending more time looking for bait than I ever have, we loaded up on the mackerel and headed to our secret spot. I anchor up and he launched his kayak away from any boats. My son used his trolling motor and headed to shore and I told him to stay close by because of the boat traffic. As I was watching him set up for his troll, I see him heading down the beach. I tell my wife "Didn't i tell him to stay in the area" Grabbing my binoculars I can see the rod bent forward and he is getting towed down the beach. He came back with a fish in tow using the boca grip, because he couldn't lift it onto the kayak. He put it on the deck of the boat and I put a yardstick down, yep it's bigger than that. We rigged up and sent him on his way with more bait. Sure enough he is getting towed again and other boats have taken notice. He brought this one back measuring 45". The other boats were trying to hijack his spot but must of gave up realizing how shallow it was. He  caught over 2 dozen fish over 36" and losing a bigger one than the 45" due to the boca grip opening. Great day on the water with the family.

IMG_7772.jpg

IMG_7761.jpg

Posted (edited) · Report post

Sunrise at the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel last weekend. Such a fun trip, we caught a ton of fish. I’ve been out there dozens of times, but never hit it on a flat calm day like this! 7E49D467-C422-4861-8F3F-0454D34FB121.jpeg

5DAE4E3B-DC89-4347-AA97-C144D9E67DAB.jpeg

7F079817-7924-4D7C-BD5A-96DE7C85A03C.jpeg

Edited by Matt7082