The Riddler

2019 Kayak Fishing Photos

277 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, odiemike86 said:

Since my past 2 fall runs have been dismal with may long hours and long drives i decided to focus my efforts to musky.  

 

imagejpeg_0(4).jpg

 

 

A more worthy endeavor imo, even if the striped ones are thick. Beautiful fish!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 mins ago, buddha162 said:

 

A more worthy endeavor imo, even if the striped ones are thick. Beautiful fish!

Thanks! its been a very tough challange. Ive put in a lot of hours this past year and only landed 2. Hooked a bunch and lost a few monsters at the side of the yak. Very hard fish to get a good hook set.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 mins ago, odiemike86 said:

Thanks! its been a very tough challange. Ive put in a lot of hours this past year and only landed 2. Hooked a bunch and lost a few monsters at the side of the yak. Very hard fish to get a good hook set.

 

If/when I get a hard kayak, skis are definitely on my radar. Are you standing? How do you draw the figure 8s in the yak?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 mins ago, odiemike86 said:

Thanks! its been a very tough challange. Ive put in a lot of hours this past year and only landed 2. Hooked a bunch and lost a few monsters at the side of the yak. Very hard fish to get a good hook set.

Great fish man...... i don't do nearly as much freshwater as i use to & i gotta travel off L.I to get anything worth posting a pic of nowadays..

 

Heck.... I'm glad to see pics of something other then schoolie stripers.

 

 That gets old after awhile....:waiting:

 

Best....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 mins ago, buddha162 said:

 

If/when I get a hard kayak, skis are definitely on my radar. Are you standing? How do you draw the figure 8s in the yak?

I do stand when i am casting for them but i mostly troll and use live bait. I have some success casting and jigging for them but my shoulder can not take casing 10 oz lures for that long so i stick to bait and trolling.  That ski was landed on a live 14" sucker fish under a large bobber.   They are very hard to hook using live bait and in general.  After having a bunch come unbuttoned in the last month i went near max drag and swung really hard on the hook set.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 mins ago, odiemike86 said:

I do stand when i am casting for them but i mostly troll and use live bait. I have some success casting and jigging for them but my shoulder can not take casing 10 oz lures for that long so i stick to bait and trolling.  That ski was landed on a live 14" sucker fish under a large bobber.   They are very hard to hook using live bait and in general.  After having a bunch come unbuttoned in the last month i went near max drag and swung really hard on the hook set.

 

Gotcha. I think I saw a preview of that fish on IG, and some really sad mangled suckers lol. 

 

Can you imagine the jaw clamping pressure of a big muskie? Something I force myself to do now on any single hook presentation (esp jigs) is to really load that rod tip/remove all slack before slamming it home. I can just picture a musky T boning that sucker with a vice grip and now you gotta move a foot of wire to bury that hook. I'm sure your yak drifts towards the fish too on the hookset. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

1 hour ago, buddha162 said:

 

Gotcha. I think I saw a preview of that fish on IG, and some really sad mangled suckers lol. 

 

Can you imagine the jaw clamping pressure of a big muskie? Something I force myself to do now on any single hook presentation (esp jigs) is to really load that rod tip/remove all slack before slamming it home. I can just picture a musky T boning that sucker with a vice grip and now you gotta move a foot of wire to bury that hook. I'm sure your yak drifts towards the fish too on the hookset. 

It was not a good day to be a sucker fish lol.

 

 The musky swam right towards my kayak with the sucker so i had to try to position myself on the right angle to get a good hook set.  I could not get in an ideal position and i ended up setting the hook with the musky 3' directly under my kayak and only 4' of line out.  Despite doing everything wrong after hooking it we were able to net it lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.