Alkern

Surf shark rod

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

Lurker here.

So two Irish men are fishing when one reels in a bottle and a genie pops out. The genie says i can grant you one wish.

The man wishes that the genie turns the lake into beer. The fishing partner responds you idiot now we have to piss in the boat.

Anyway looking for a surf rod for shark fishing. Would like to keep it around 130ish. Going to buy 2 and pair with a spinfisher 1050 and a slammer 7500.

Looking at a 12ft tsunami trophy  or maybe a penn batallion any thoughts.

Also used a penn prevail for a while but hated the guides. Popped out too easy 

Posted (edited) · Report post

If you want two shark surf rods, try to make your price range a bit higher and get 2 Tica XH Dolphins.

Also, rather then get a 10500, just get two Slammer 8500llls.

Watch Amazon for deals on 1200yd spools of Sufix 832 65lb braid, they often pop up for $65 for a 1200yd spool. Then put 600yds of line on each rod.

I don't know how many people you will be fishing with all the time, but I strongly advise against using 2 rods for sharks at the same time. 

With that said, you should just buy 1 Tica XH Dolphin and pair it with something like a Penn Torque 9500 or an Okuma Makaira 30000 using the money you would have saved by not getting the second set-up. Just a thought.:)

Trust me, even with a 2nd person you do not want to end up fighting two nice sized sharks simultaneously.

Edited by Beastly Backlash

Thanks..

I already have the 1050 and the 7500. 

I usually catch em around 4 or 5 feet. I have a dolphin 10 06 as my drum rod and love it just looking to avoid paying 200 for another rod. 

3 hours ago, Beastly Backlash said:

I don't know how many people you will be fishing with all the time, but I strongly advise against using 2 rods for sharks at the same time. 

why

5 hours ago, Alkern said:

Also used a penn prevail for a while but hated the guides. Popped out too easy 

its because of stainless, which moves with temperature changes, and that causes eventual popping in lesser quality designed guide frames

9 hours ago, Alkern said:

So two Irish men are fishing when one reels in a bottle and a genie pops out. The genie says i can grant you one wish.

And then he got hired and started making decisions for people.

Buahahahaha ! ! ! !

An Ugly Stick.

Edited by SandSpike1

6 hours ago, glos said:

why

You don't want to get tied up with a double header on two larger sharks. It is not good for the sharks and if these are sharks that need to be kept in the wash what are you going to do to get them both unhooked at the same time?

I thought it`s more of a current movement of the sinkers - entangling those

or a problem with one hooked geting into that other one in the water

at least those are the reasons why we here choose to have only two rods

when fishing barbel in strong current

and also when they finally start hitting they often do it on both, at the same time

so 3 would be a conundrum

Edited by glos

For the money I like the battalion.. think I paid like 120$ said and done .. I got the 11’ with fathom 12 on it 50lbs braid .. tosses 4-5oz and chunk well .. I like it cause it’s not a broom stick .. but still powerful .. no problems landing sizely sea critters in a timely manor .. and like said tossing two rods I think is trouble .. when the bites on it will be a mess .. 

I paid ~150 for the Team Daiwa 12' spinning rod on Amazon, can't recommend it enough for heavy surf bait fishing.  I use it with a Torque 9 spooled with 65lb braid.  Has plenty of backbone and launches big baits with ease.

I use a Tsunami Trophy H or XH. At 109$ give or take you can’t beat it given the specs for tossing out chunks of bait. Overkill for up here but I usually pair it with a Slammer 9500 just because I have it.