ghost

Culling out the small fluke

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

First day out fluking and everything was small. Cookie cutter 17 inch fluke and sea robbins. I can't help believe there has to be some 19 inch fish in the mix.

What tricks do you guys use to avoid the smaller fish? I usually try bigger baits and bigger rigs (bucktails), when that does not work I move to another spot.

I just thought there might be some other tricks , methods that might work to avoid some of the smaller fish.

2 hours ago, ghost said:

First day out fluking and everything was small. Cookie cutter 17 inch fluke and sea robbins. I can't help believe there has to be some 19 inch fish in the mix.

What tricks do you guys use to avoid the smaller fish? I usually try bigger baits and bigger rigs (bucktails), when that does not work I move to another spot.

I just thought there might be some other tricks , methods that might work to avoid some of the smaller fish.

Larger hooks. 

Fish structure, increase the size of whatever you're using. Be prepared to catch a lot fewer fish but what you catch s/b better quality.

I beleive location is WAY more important than bait size.  And that changes always.  Large will take over an area and kick out small.   Especially with fish that hang in structure....  Its not even debatable....

13 hours ago, PaddyCrabby said:

I beleive location is WAY more important than bait size.  And that changes always.  Large will take over an area and kick out small.   Especially with fish that hang in structure....  Its not even debatable....

I agree!!