coldclam

Never ending...

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

I think familys dislike the jetty solution because their children naturally want to run and play on the slippery rocks

 

However the jetties are the best solution

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 mins ago, DragonsLax48 said:

I think familys dislike the jetty solution because their children naturally want to run and play on the slippery rocks

 

However the jetties are the best solution

Ive read that the standard moco jetties really don't combat beach erosion all that well which is why they notched many of them. A 'T' jetty is a different story.  Even though we all know beach replenishment is ineffective its amazing how powerful the ocean is to wipe out all that beach replenishment and tax dollars after one storm. Even more amazing is how they do this over and over and get away with it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wondered if it would be better to have the rock piles parallel to the beach with openings spaced as needed. They may not hold the sand but they would slow it down and create a fish habitat. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, adams54 said:

Ive read that the standard moco jetties really don't combat beach erosion all that well which is why they notched many of them. A 'T' jetty is a different story.  Even though we all know beach replenishment is ineffective its amazing how powerful the ocean is to wipe out all that beach replenishment and tax dollars after one storm. Even more amazing is how they do this over and over and get away with it.

Youve also read that beach replenishment is the most efficient way to save our beaches and houses from flooding and big storms....

 

You cant trust what you read anymore. The jetties do not block sand from moving but they do however slow down the process of sand movement enough to allow nature to runs its course and eventually nature will bring the sand back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The answer/solution to this is more complex than beach nourishment projects or jetty/groin construction . . . real estate development along the coast has encroached on the natural barriers, flood plains, etc. without any regard for the geological time scale of rising and falling sea levels over millions of years.  

 

Unless science and political leaders develop a plan to begin retreat from coastal areas most subjected to floods and storm damage, it will be a continual, short-sighted, mitigation plan to implement very expensive and temporary solutions such as beach nourishment and hard structure.  Essentially this is tax payer subsidization for both businesses and personal residences that cannot actually afford the financial risk of living/operation in the face of the ocean or tidal river/estuary. 

 

All justified by the unsupported "fact" that tourism dollars justify the expense to protect shore side residences and businesses.  Especially NJ, the most fiscally corrupt and inept state in the USA . . . they need all the tax dollars possible.

 

Such a joke and very sad when you think about it.  Hence my disdain for this state and looking forward to leaving it in the near future.  Will always be back for the stripers, but never return as a resident.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, cartopper said:

The answer/solution to this is more complex than beach nourishment projects or jetty/groin construction . . . real estate development along the coast has encroached on the natural barriers, flood plains, etc. without any regard for the geological time scale of rising and falling sea levels over millions of years.  

 

Unless science and political leaders develop a plan to begin retreat from coastal areas most subjected to floods and storm damage, it will be a continual, short-sighted, mitigation plan to implement very expensive and temporary solutions such as beach nourishment and hard structure.  Essentially this is tax payer subsidization for both businesses and personal residences that cannot actually afford the financial risk of living/operation in the face of the ocean or tidal river/estuary. 

 

All justified by the unsupported "fact" that tourism dollars justify the expense to protect shore side residences and businesses.  Especially NJ, the most fiscally corrupt and inept state in the USA . . . they need all the tax dollars possible.

 

Such a joke and very sad when you think about it.  Hence my disdain for this state and looking forward to leaving it in the near future.  Will always be back for the stripers, but never return as a resident.

Well stated. Any idea what states to look into?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I mean as fisherman we all want the beach there to fish it, yet beach replenishment makes fishing worse. Interesting huh? Any state we go to with an ocean front coast probably does the same kind of thing I'd imagine in regards to replenishing the beach, unless this problem is only specific to us for some reason. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 mins ago, hurricane1091 said:

I mean as fisherman we all want the beach there to fish it, yet beach replenishment makes fishing worse. Interesting huh? Any state we go to with an ocean front coast probably does the same kind of thing I'd imagine in regards to replenishing the beach, unless this problem is only specific to us for some reason. 

I wouldnt be surprised if other states did this as well. They receive up to 50% government funding for these projects AKA FREE MONEY.

 

Id be more curious to see how other countries handle the dilemma. I know australia beach replenishes because it killed some famous surf spots.

 

The bottom line is, just because others are doing it does not make it right. You should respect mother nature and not build on her shifting coastline.

 

Jetty implementation would make fisherman, surfers, boaters, visitors and ultimately residents happy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, adams54 said:

Well stated. Any idea what states to look into?

Depends . . . if you view from strictly a tax standpoint . . . NY, NJ, CT and CA are the worst, according to Forbes, and WY, AK, SD and TX are the best.  Just returned from AK, Sitka, my son is stationed there.  Absolutely beautiful, pristine rivers and streams.  Native steelhead, rainbows, dolly's and cutthroat.  5 species of salmon, halibut, rocks, lingcod, etc.  

 

Just a little too cold year round for me . . . I'm probably looking at FL, right in the middle of the bunch from a tax perspective.

 

Picture of him an me last year when I was there . . . fished the entire length of this creek and didn't see another person.

AlaskaSteveandmeSalmonCreek.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@cartopper off topic but what are the logistics like for someone to travel over there to fish and explore nature for two weeks? Is it expensive to get there/get around?

 

Its intimidating to me but I want to make the trip within the next few years

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 mins ago, DragonsLax48 said:

@cartopper off topic but what are the logistics like for someone to travel over there to fish and explore nature for two weeks? Is it expensive to get there/get around?

 

Its intimidating to me but I want to make the trip within the next few years

Will PM you as to not take this too far off topic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.