KevinC

Undercarriage spraying

19 posts in this topic

Hi, new to forum! I've been trying to locate a shop on LI that does Fluid Film undercarriage spraying. So far, I've found one that does NH Oil (RMS) and POR15. I realize that its easier to probably do it myself but I dont have access to a lift or know where every frame plug is. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

On 5/15/2019 at 1:12 PM, KevinC said:

Hi, new to forum! I've been trying to locate a shop on LI that does Fluid Film undercarriage spraying. So far, I've found one that does NH Oil (RMS) and POR15. I realize that its easier to probably do it myself but I dont have access to a lift or know where every frame plug is. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

youtube your truck tonsof info

Is that considered undercoating? I had my Truck undercoated when I bought it and it promoted rust because it incubated moisture promoting rust. I found that rustoleum spray paint is a better solution for me. I have had my Ford F150 since 2000 and she stills wants to go. 

It’s not so much undercoating that the dealership would sell. But more of a protectant of any further rusting. Found a lift and ordered some Woolwax sold by Kellsport. Let you know how it goes

Posted (edited) · Report post

Lowes & HD sell Fluid film in spray cans, clean your undercarriage good with a good industrial cleaner like that orange stuff HD sells, rinse it well & let it dry for a few days, then go to town with the fluid film, its a waxy coating that wears off over time, it also smells terrible for a few days, repeat every year or 2 & you will be GTG. PS: you don not need a lift, just drive it up on oil change ramps & do front /rear separately. Good Luck. 

Edited by garrr

if you dont want to diy look up ziebart, they specialize in this stuff.  you can start with just a basic fluid film spray (thats going to need to be touched up every year or 2 depending on how much driving you do) or go with a stupid expensive program where they basically scrape/brush away all the rust and undercoat everything with bedliner.  i recently bought a 2011 FJ TT with 95k miles but really good shape underneath from ohio.  theres a guy near me who does fluid film for $299 came highly recommended from the FJ forums.  its worth it, i couldnt imagine being on my back spraying that stuff for hours in the summer not to mention the mess it would make on my driveway.  eff that.  i dont know what kind of vehicle you have but theres almost always a forum or FB page dedicated to any beach buggy type vehicle where the other members are obsessed with rust proofing.  in my case, i plan on keeping the FJ till im cold and dead so its well worth the $$ imo

Try Rust Restoration in Cranston,  Rhode Island. They do great work and offer spraying into the weep holes on doors and hatches. I've been there three times and they are above board.

Good luck,

Ted

If you just take your off road vehicle to the car was immediately after coming off the beach  ( every outing ) that does undercarriage  my 2012 silverado is iin really great condition also when I get the maintenance service I kindly ask the mechanic to inspect it for fishing line / braid . I think the brine the highway dept spray the roads /  during the winter is something more concerning .   

On 31/05/2019 at 9:43 AM, Ted Pietz said:

Try Rust Restoration in Cranston,  Rhode Island. They do great work and offer spraying into the weep holes on doors and hatches. I've been there three times and they are above board.

Good luck,

Ted

How much does their service cost?

On ‎5‎/‎31‎/‎2019 at 9:33 AM, gobigblue said:

if you dont want to diy look up ziebart, they specialize in this stuff.  you can start with just a basic fluid film spray (thats going to need to be touched up every year or 2 depending on how much driving you do) or go with a stupid expensive program where they basically scrape/brush away all the rust and undercoat everything with bedliner.  i recently bought a 2011 FJ TT with 95k miles but really good shape underneath from ohio.  theres a guy near me who does fluid film for $299 came highly recommended from the FJ forums.  its worth it, i couldnt imagine being on my back spraying that stuff for hours in the summer not to mention the mess it would make on my driveway.  eff that.  i dont know what kind of vehicle you have but theres almost always a forum or FB page dedicated to any beach buggy type vehicle where the other members are obsessed with rust proofing.  in my case, i plan on keeping the FJ till im cold and dead so its well worth the $$ imo

It should take less than an hour to do the actual application, to do it right the prep is the hard part!

I first take the truck through a good carwash, then clean underneath with hot water & Salt Away, then I use a degreaser (The orange stuff HD sells works OK), then I drive it to shake out any water & park it in the garage to dry out for a day or so. 

I do it in the fall & the smell is still bad, The smell even lingers for a few days!

Put a tarp down before you spray or overspray will get on the garage floor/driveway! 

On ‎5‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 3:44 PM, Homer1 said:

i was told by someone who used fluid film that sand sticks to it....

Yes it does, but it doesn't hurt anything, The fluid film is sort of like sprayed on candlewax.

10 hours ago, DEM Parking Lot said:

How much does their service cost?

The last one I did was my sons Jeep and it cost around $400. I guess the size of the car or truck has something to do with the cost. They do very thorough work. 

11 hours ago, garrr said:

It should take less than an hour to do the actual application, to do it right the prep is the hard part!

I first take the truck through a good carwash, then clean underneath with hot water & Salt Away, then I use a degreaser (The orange stuff HD sells works OK), then I drive it to shake out any water & park it in the garage to dry out for a day or so. 

I do it in the fall & the smell is still bad, The smell even lingers for a few days!

Put a tarp down before you spray or overspray will get on the garage floor/driveway! 

Im planning on taking it to a guy this summer to get it on a lift and all cleaned up and sprayed professionally.  Then taking it to someone else's empty parking lot on a weekend with some ramps to touch it up once a year.