Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
passiton

IBSP Help for the Scouts

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

I haven't been on the sand at the park in a few years.  I'm taking a group of Boyscouts there on Saturday and want to take them hiking from the pocket back along the inlet.  Can anyone tell me how accessible that'll be or how far back we can get if we stay within two hours of either side of low tide?  Not sure how it's looking after the winter.  

We'll fish frontside afterwards.  If anyone is down around A19, stop by the solver ram 1500 with a rattyass cap and say hello.  :)

Posted (edited) · Report post

Just hiking along the inlet into the back.  No waders, no fishing gear.  All our fishing will be later on the beach frontside as a separate activity. 

Edited by passiton

1 hour ago, HighEndHooker said:

I believe there is a fishing tournament there this weekend, there will be about 400 silver rams 

That's Sunday.  You couldn't pay me  to be in the park for that.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Don't think you'll get far along the inlet.  Sand tube blew out years ago and there's a cut I don't think you can wade across.  Others will know better.  

Google maps satellite view of the inlet:

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Island+Beach+State+Park,+Lanoka+Harbor,+NJ+08734/39.7673789,-74.09983/@39.7722686,-74.0983934,1674m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m9!4m8!1m5!1m1!1s0x89c1a209d8941bad:0x150829cdd655f935!2m2!1d-74.0975678!2d39.7974811!1m0!3e3

Edited by Darth Baiter

Thanks gents, this was helpful.  Somehow I was thinking it was still passable, even after the sand tubes blew out.  I'm going to drop the Scouts with a few adults at the pocket and have them hike in to that breach then back again, continuing up to where we will fish a mile or so up from the inlet.  They'll do a beach cleanup along the way.

21 mins ago, passiton said:

Thanks gents, this was helpful.  Somehow I was thinking it was still passable, even after the sand tubes blew out.  I'm going to drop the Scouts with a few adults at the pocket and have them hike in to that breach then back again, continuing up to where we will fish a mile or so up from the inlet.  They'll do a beach cleanup along the way.

There's a bunch of roads/trails back there that lead to the beach further north from the pocket if you wanted to do a loop.  See the Google map.

1 hour ago, Darth Baiter said:

There's a bunch of roads/trails back there that lead to the beach further north from the pocket if you wanted to do a loop.  See the Google map.

Awesome, thank you.  That's perfect.  I just mapped it out and will have the boys decide.  It looks like a good option.  

One year left with these knuckelheads and I'm happy to share one of my favorite places with them.  I haven't been on the sand there because of the time spent with Scouts, so it's nice to return and bring them.