Pma531

Problem with this?

9 posts in this topic

I have a 2019 Hobie Outback. I just bought a Wheeleez Kayak Cart (Not the mini). Any problems with leaving the kayak on the cart like this during the season?

D83B358A-71BF-46C6-B3D8-AD0D8E73A09A.jpeg

Addressing what the yellow eyed devils crew mentioned, you could wheel the kayak into your garage (looks like a garage in your pic), rest the nose on something in the lines of "low profile saw horses" or whatever you want to store it on, than lift the rear onto the 2nd half of the set all the while leaving the kart strapped on & elevated a few inches off the floor...

Now the kayak would be on a rack, the wheels wouldn't be supporting any weight to warp  anything & the kart would already be attached for easy in & out of wherever you're storing it...

Something like this...

5cdc57bf9a61e_ELEVATEDKAYAK.jpg.0dc6fbfec07c867dafca239a4fdb868d.jpg

I see 2 issues.

#1  When the garage gets warm the plastic will soften and the hull will deform to the shape of the cart.

#2  Those wheels are the best on the market but they are not very durable. The tend to develop

leaks around the  valves. I would not put any extra stress on them. They are very expensive to           replace. In fact most leak right out of the box when brand new. You may want to immerse the tire in water and check for bubbles.  The wheels may also develop flat spots from the weight of the kayak..

Would laying it on two 4x4 posts work for long term storage?  Support on both sides of keel, im just not sure if the hobie would loose any banana curving.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Honestly, I don’t mind taking off the cart during storage if I have to. That’s kind of why I went with the Wheeleez cart to begin with. Beside the livewell issue, it’s pretty easy to put on and off. I’ll probably end up taking it off after what you guys said. Don’t want to spend $90 a wheel if I don’t have to.

Edited by Pma531

Leaving it on a cart like that will definitely warp it. There's suggestions in the manual as to how to store your boat but flat on the ground is probably best. Upside down on saw horses if you want it off the ground would be better then hull down.

I have a large plastic box from container store which is several inches deeper that wheels in the scuppers... so once I roll my kayak in the garage I lift it and push that box under it so this way kayak now rests on it and not on the wheel frame...the plastic box deforms around kayak hull which eliminate any stress point...a box can be moved back and fort several inches so the kayak is not supported on the same spot all the time. Once it is a time to roll a kayak out , you lift it , slide the box out and lower it down onto the wheels which were in the scupper holes all the time and you are ready to go.