Always_NoFo

Underrated tools/accessories in the surf?

Rate this topic

82 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, Buckscorider said:

Light sticks in plug bag tubes for dark nights. 

And silicone hair bands for in the truck, millions of uses.

This is genius. I have so many light sticks from my rave-, i mean range days.....

19 hours ago, Always_NoFo said:

Have they handled the saltwater well, or do you just keep them in the truck?

Vacuum seal them, you don’t need them everyday. They will rust otherwise. 

19 hours ago, Sudsy said:

Balanced out on a rock with big bluefish about this has been gold

The boga tends to jam up if it gets dunked in sandy waves, this never fails

20170504_113330_resized.jpg.d6856255f4f03d1da13f02913417656e.jpg

Are they or oil filter  pliers or what are they thanks??

18 hours ago, MaxKatt said:

Coat hanger with hooks on both ends to hang in bag tube to retrieve bucktails/tins that fall to the bottom of the tube.

Cut long straight bottom part off wire coat hanger leaving already bent corners on the ends.  Measure interior height of your bag/tubes.  Leave corner hook on one end, cut custom length, bend second hook on other end.

EZ.  Zero cost.  Can replace with another from you closet if you lose it.  VERY handy.  Avoid bag dumps, or using other plugs/trebles to try to get something out.

I do this too. If you don’t want rust, you can buy a few bicycle spokes and cut to size

I keep a small roll of hockey tape in the waterproof inner pouch of my waders for wrapping my finger on my casting hand. I once had braid slice clean through my index finger when the plug got snagged on the jetty behind me as I went to huck a 7" bomber into orbit.. wasn't pretty and I'm pretty sure it changed my fingerprint after it healed!

1 hour ago, HKJonathan said:

I do this too. If you don’t want rust, you can buy a few bicycle spokes and cut to size

Excellent upgrade.  And as a cyclists, I can almost guarantee your local bike shop has an old spoke they can give you free.  Same with used tubes if you want to cut one up to make braid/finger protectors.  Spokes and tubes are consumables they go through a decent amount of all the time.

14 hours ago, cheech said:

Attractant in a Visene bottle, a drop or two on your spool, plug, bucktail etc. 

Does this really work?  I put some on a bucktail once, which I regretted because it stank bad and smelled up the interior of the truck.

8 mins ago, nycstripers16 said:

I keep a small roll of hockey tape in the waterproof inner pouch of my waders for wrapping my finger on my casting hand. I once had braid slice clean through my index finger when the plug got snagged on the jetty behind me as I went to huck a 7" bomber into orbit.. wasn't pretty and I'm pretty sure it changed my fingerprint after it healed!

Happened to me as well. Got a little excited after a 20 minute hike to a spot, within a couple of casts I was walking back. I went with the Gamakatsu casting finger though. In hindsight that $20 would have been better spent on athletic tape and a plug, but it's still a good accessory nonetheless. Oh well!

If you're fishing on a bar in the surf a Boga is your best friend. Saves you from walking the fish back to the beach. I have one of the cheaper ones that doesn't have a scale. I just rinse it and relube it, had it for years and it still works fine.

For a hook/plug holder, I slide a cheap split ring over a small cable tie, then attach that to either the base of the rod or one of the grips.

8 mins ago, Southcoastphil said:

For a hook/plug holder, I slide a cheap split ring over a small cable tie, then attach that to either the base of the rod or one of the grips.

They also make the zip ties with the built in loops which work mint too.

I like to keep a roll of tape for after fishing is done for the night. 

Open battery cover on headlamp and cover battery ends with tape, then close battery cover. This keeps the batteries from draining.  Of course, remember to remove before next use.