Always_NoFo

Underrated tools/accessories in the surf?

Rate this topic

82 posts in this topic

34 mins ago, Captain Planet said:

Make sure it isn't a mist one.  Mine has a stream and mist setting.  It was like $15 or less.

Brilliant. You sold me as well. 

12 mins ago, glos said:

untangling line, knots

puling line - hair thru bait, boilie or pellet

taking of silicone hair from the hook

those multi tool knives and similar tools should have one of those on them.

This is awesome as well. Definitely gonna be picking a lot of these suggestions up.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Balanced out on a rock with big bluefish about this has been gold

The boga tends to jam up if it gets dunked in sandy waves, this never fails

20170504_113330_resized.jpg.d6856255f4f03d1da13f02913417656e.jpg

Edited by Sudsy

9' length of good 1/2" rope with a loop tied on one end. Essential for when ya have to drag that big fish way back to the truck or even over the dunes. 

2 hours ago, VitaminDee said:

Bolt cutters. Bought a small one from harbor freight for little money. Used it 3x last year to unhook a friend. 

You had to unhook the same friend three times in one year?

Coat hanger with hooks on both ends to hang in bag tube to retrieve bucktails/tins that fall to the bottom of the tube.

Cut long straight bottom part off wire coat hanger leaving already bent corners on the ends.  Measure interior height of your bag/tubes.  Leave corner hook on one end, cut custom length, bend second hook on other end.

EZ.  Zero cost.  Can replace with another from you closet if you lose it.  VERY handy.  Avoid bag dumps, or using other plugs/trebles to try to get something out.

+1 for the pressurized sprayer or just a big spray bottle from HD.

I target shoot often and had a nice magazine dump pouch on my gear belt that didn't get much use. I put it on my surf belt and use it to pick up trash when I see it. It conveniently rolls up when not in use.

tailor2.JPG

tailor.JPG

4 hours ago, VitaminDee said:

Bolt cutters. Bought a small one from harbor freight for little money. Used it 3x last year to unhook a friend. 

I purchased a 12 pair of bolt cutters also ...It's a great tool...

Posted (edited) · Report post

I wear 5.11 Tactical Series EMT cargo pants that I get from Work 'N Gear stores for fishing pants. Those pants are awesome. Tons of pockets and they take A LOT of abuse. I've gotten multiple seasons out of a pair before they get ripped, dirty and blood stained. They are water resistant as well so I stay pretty dry on days where there's light rain or occasional showers and I'm not wearing rain gear.

I might try Duluth work, cargo pants this season to see if they are any better than the one's I get from Work 'N Gear.

Also, I always have a can of mosquito repellant and suntan lotion in my gear bag. Those bugs can get pretty nasty at dawn and dusk if there's not much of a wind on the shoreline.

Edited by zak-striper