Alabama’s abortion bill

Rate this topic

saltydawg

Will the Republican governor sign it?

It’s very restrictive, excluding even cases of incest and rape. And the crime is a class A felony, meaning serious time. Interesting to see how different states are going in very extreme opposite directions in major issues. 

-

1 min ago, saltydawg said:

It’s very restrictive, excluding even cases of incest and rape. And the crime is a class A felony, meaning serious time. Interesting to see how different states are going in very extreme opposite directions in major issues. 

I hope the bill gets vetoed.   These various State restrictive anti-abortion laws are an attempt to get one to the SCOTUS.   We shall see...

4 mins ago, saltydawg said:

My hunch is the governor does not sign it.

and if they do it's going to be in front of the SC very quickly.

Just now, Gotcow? said:

My hunch is the governor does not sign it.

and if they do it's going to be in front of the SC very quickly.

"very quickly"?   doubtful.   AL ACLU will file a lawsuit, it will take months if not years to ever make it to the SCOTUS.

Meanwhile, the vagueness of the Bill will lead to other legal challenges. 

Perfect example how people are uninformed. The entire purpose of the bill, even admitted by the sponsors, is to have it vetoed and brought before the Supreme Court such that R v. A  comes under review.

I have known this for weeks, where have you been?

Edited by Steve in Mass

"You know the Bill of Rights is serving its purpose when it protects things you wish it didn't."

"You can no longer be oppressed if you are not afraid anymore - Unknown"

SOL Member #174

9 mins ago, Steve in Mass said:

Perfect example how people are uninformed. The entire purpose of the bill, even admitted by the sponsors, is to have it vetoed and brought before the Supreme Court such that R v. A  comes under review.

I have known this for weeks, where have you been?

If it gets a Veto, it won't be "brought before the Supreme Court", not how it works.