JTR

MA Trailer Registration Question

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

So I bought a boat and trailer in 2011, but never registered the trailer. Now I want to transfer the trailer to a friend. I have the bill of sale and the owners registration, which would allow me to register it, however, I’d rather just transfer it over to him without registering it. Can I just create another bill of sale from me to my friend and will the state allow him to register with the 2 bills of sale and the other owner’s registration?

The problem you have is, did you pay sales tax?

You did not register it and pay those registration tax, get were I am going?

Go into the DMV and ask a few questions and DO NOT GIVE THEM YOUR NAME.

He may want to buy a trailer from a guy out of state.

Does the original have your name on it?  If no, just hand him that paper work.  I know in CT what you are proposing is completely acceptable.  You picked up a trailer you were working on, no long have a use for it so are selling it.  There was no need to register because it never touched a paved road.  So you are giving a new bill of sale to the new owner to show transfer of ownership.

Not sure if MA will work the same way though

I'm sure you could imagine that Mass is kind of a nightmare when it comes to these things. Last year I registered a trailer with bill of sale and a copy of registration. The tough part was the boat, originally boat purchased in NH, registered for years in VT, now in my possession in Mass. I think the returned my packet of like 15 documents 3 times. Just don't expect the purchaser to have a quick outcome with the state. 

Common sense would say you never put the trailer on the road so you never had to register it.

Unfortunately common sense is in short supply at the MA RMV. I'm sure they'll have you jumping through hoops for 3 or 4 visits at least.

2 hours ago, Eagles Dare said:

Common sense would say you never put the trailer on the road so you never had to register it.

Unfortunately common sense is in short supply at the MA RMV. I'm sure they'll have you jumping through hoops for 3 or 4 visits at least.

That’s what I’m afraid of.

13 hours ago, nightfighter said:

Should not need registration to transfer from what I see below. Any title?

Hope the informational link can be left up until you get it for your use....

https://goneoutdoors.com/register-boat-trailer-massachusetts-7796592.html

No title either, it’s a small trailer for a 14’ aluminum, so no title needed.