jesgord

9' Star Paraflex vs Stellar Lite

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Picked up a 7' Star Stellar Lite surf rod over the winter which I used in the back this spring.  Threw on my VS-50 on it and I couldn't be happier.  Very well built, solid little rod and its hard to argue with the price and lifetime warranty.  Thinking about replacing my trusty old 9' with another Star rod and have looked at both the Stellar Lite and the Paraflex. Rod will likely be paired with a 4500 Slammer 3 or VS150. 

Looking online, I see that these rods have similar specs/ratings.  Wondering what the primary difference is between these two (aside from price)?  I'd be using it in the bay and sound....sometimes in pretty heavy current.  Wondering if the Stellar Lite will have the backbone to turn a decent fish in the current and conversely how the Paraflex will do with a 3/4 oz bucktail. I know there are plenty of other options out there in the 9' range-but for now I'm just looking for insight on the Paraflex vs the Stellar. 

I have that exact setup.  Paraflex 9' and Slammer 3 4500.  Really nice.  I like it a lot.  Caught some nice sized blues just this morning on it.  That being said it doesn't do to well on the lower end.  It will cast 3/4oz fine enough but won't load like a rod that is geared for those weights.  It's better in the 1oz or so to 2.5oz range.  As far as having enough backbone I would say it does.  It's fairly stiff rod.  The blues I got today were in the 6-8lb range.  Nothing crazy big but still a good fight in a bit of current.  Rod did fine. 

2 hours ago, 40shades-of-blue said:

I have that exact setup.  Paraflex 9' and Slammer 3 4500.  Really nice.  I like it a lot.  Caught some nice sized blues just this morning on it.  That being said it doesn't do to well on the lower end.  It will cast 3/4oz fine enough but won't load like a rod that is geared for those weights.  It's better in the 1oz or so to 2.5oz range.  As far as having enough backbone I would say it does.  It's fairly stiff rod.  The blues I got today were in the 6-8lb range.  Nothing crazy big but still a good fight in a bit of current.  Rod did fine. 

Thanks for the insight.....based on this, I'm wondering if I might not be better of with the Stellar......worried though that it might be too light.....

I can't comment on the Stellar surf model you mentioned.  Try searching this site for that rod.  I remember seeing lots of mentions of it when I was doing research for a rod I wanted. 

My experience, YMMV. I have 3 stellar lite rods. Initially loved them but two had issues. Lifetime warranty so no biggie but frankly these are not so well made that I would buy another, and not such a bargain that buying a better rod with a lesser warranty for the same price or a bit more  is, in my mind, smarter.

I have a Stelar Light 9' up to 4 oz I use for casting -plugs and bucktails at In lets and jetties. Fantastic rod, Light, great feel, and cast great. I like it better than some of my Croixs. They look good to. Check them out.

My advise is to put the rod in your hands before you buy.  I went to tackle direct a couple weeks ago expecting to buy the stellar light 9’ 1-4 oz that their web page said had 15 1/2” butt section. It was 19” to the bottom of the seat. Longer than I wanted.  Also had male top section at the ferrule and only 4 guides and a tip. I was expecting 5 guides on a 9’ rod. Maybe the ferrule design is good but not what I was expecting. I also agree with above comment that the Stellar rod felt cheap to me.  I have a 9’ Triumph and it feels more like a quality rod but for some applications I wanted shorter butt section (why I was looking at the Stellar).  I do have the 11’ paraflex conventional for chunking and like it. Price and quality feel is very similar to st croix mojo but don’t know if the 9’ would meet your needs.  I have seen the 9’ in the store and it looks and feels like the mojo 9’ 1-4 (pretty stiff for throwing light stuff).   I have bought a few rods on line sight unseen and have too many disappointments when the rod is ok but not exactly what I expected.  

Posted (edited) · Report post

I actually used to have the the 9' stellar lite about 5 years ago. I remember it being very light, but it also handled my plugging well and even tossed bunker chunks with 3oz lead. It's a good rod at a great price, and it caught me some decent fish. 

Edit: I'm pretty sure Steve has some in store, so you can feel it out there 

Edited by Always_NoFo