Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
HydroSpider

Swell scupper 14

6 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I had been a long time fan of the Scupper pro hull. I watched with great interest when T Neimier and team were reshaping that classic into a modern functional speedster. I followed a very good thread here, developed by knowledgable members, and it was the primary reason that I signed up in hopes to help contribute and share. 7 months ago, I ordered and paid for a Swell scupper and have been excited since that purchase. There were delays, then there were delays, after that there were delays. Multiple promised delivery dates have come and gone. I stayed patient, until now.  Social media shows lots of folks paddling these boats and a very recent post showing one happy paddler that bought his Scupper "Yesterday". After 7 months of being laid back about it, its time that my patience ends.  7 months with no delivery.  I have set next Tuesday as a delivery date or I will seek refund. I am bummed but you can only be so patient when you see so many others with these boats and I have only been delivered excuses and excuses and then more.

PLEASE, if you have any interest in one of these boats, just beware and possibly consider another boat.  I really don't want to be a complete head about it but I also believe that the kayak fishing community should share warnings regarding this sort of delay of delivery.

Edited by HydroSpider
kinder

I am sorry to hear your experience. Is your order a specialized one that is build with carbon fiber materials? I do admire your patience though and waited that long. Like you I was eyeing that new scupper pro14 but saw kaskazi kayak online, gave my offer and got it. There are better boats out there so keep your eyes on other options. Thank you for sharing your experience/warning.

:angel:

Hey surffish,   I ordered the absolute basic with a request that they do not apply the traction pads.

I prefer my own work in the area. I have spoke with ownership and I believe everyone involved has recognized how bad this has been and how damaging it will be with a very web wise customer who will share the complete debacle. If it shows up, the boat really needs to impress.

Wow, that’s surprising. I’m sure Tim will respond on here. I instantly found the seat and paddling ergonomics of the old Scupper pro ( first rotomolded yak with scuppers) were truly something special. I had one for a month many years ago, and was sold on that hull too. Last year I almost ordered one of those new designs, but found something comparable on the used market. I laud your patience ! 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Tim is no longer involved with Swell.  I enjoyed the scupper pro speed and that I could roll it when I was recreational paddling and playing. I put the scupper head to head with the RTM Disco and I was surprised how much faster the scupper pro was.  I almost went for the RTM scupper version but then the Swell project started promoting a new super scupper and I decided that I would go with it.   I am now at the point where I realize that going with Swell watercraft and waiting was a poor decision.  Purchasing this boat in November was part of a larger plan to get multiple boats rigged before the season. I will probably not do business with another small kayak company again and stick with more established boat builders.

P4220005.JPG

Edited by HydroSpider

On 5/14/2019 at 5:27 PM, HydroSpider said:

I had been a long time fan of the Scupper pro hull. I watched with great interest when T Neimier and team were reshaping that classic into a modern functional speedster. I followed a very good thread here, developed by knowledgable members, and it was the primary reason that I signed up in hopes to help contribute and share. 7 months ago, I ordered and paid for a Swell scupper and have been excited since that purchase. There were delays, then there were delays, after that there were delays. Multiple promised delivery dates have come and gone. I stayed patient, until now.  Social media shows lots of folks paddling these boats and a very recent post showing one happy paddler that bought his Scupper "Yesterday". After 7 months of being laid back about it, its time that my patience ends.  7 months with no delivery.  I have set next Tuesday as a delivery date or I will seek refund. I am bummed but you can only be so patient when you see so many others with these boats and I have only been delivered excuses and excuses and then more.

PLEASE, if you have any interest in one of these boats, just beware and possibly consider another boat.  I really don't want to be a complete head about it but I also believe that the kayak fishing community should share warnings regarding this sort of delay of delivery.

check your PM's