Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
richie c

Raymond James financial services

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

Anybody have dealings with this co. and if so tell me the good and or bad. Our bank(Fulton) is steering us in their direction. Its not a huge sum buts its our non huge sum. Thanks for any input RC

Look into the fees.....

Whats wrong with using Fidelity or Vanguard and doing it yourself?

41 mins ago, woowoo2 said:

Look into the fees.....

Whats wrong with using Fidelity or Vanguard and doing it yourself?

^^^^ This was good advice. 

Nobody is going to watch your money more carefully than you will.  

As long as you go with solid funds that have a proven track record and don't try any "get rich quick" schemes or gimmicks, you'll do fine.  Like anything else it's just a learning curve and not rocket science.

I've got money with them in IRAs and so far I'm happy with them. Fees don't seem bad, return on investment has been decent (I'm at 12% for 2019 so far). My only complaint is they mail me to much crap (info on investments that I don't have time to read) that goes straight in the trash.

Anytime a bank wants to direct you towards any investment house/person my hair stands up. What do they gain from that connection. What are they the investment house going to invest your money in. It could be the bank itself and it’s books. Look where your money is involved in. 

Do your own research and don’t let anyone direct you by pressure to do so. 

Look at all costs/fees related to your money. 

We use TD ameritrade and are very happy with them. 

Interview the investment location and see what they will help you with. Set up a few appointments. 

Edited by saltfisherman

2 hours ago, BLilly said:

I've got money with them in IRAs and so far I'm happy with them. Fees don't seem bad, return on investment has been decent (I'm at 12% for 2019 so far). My only complaint is they mail me to much crap (info on investments that I don't have time to read) that goes straight in the trash.

Thanks all and will look into the fees

1 hour ago, saltfisherman said:

Anytime a bank wants to direct you towards any investment house/person my hair stands up. What do they gain from that connection. What are they the investment house going to invest your money in. It could be the bank itself and it’s books. Look where your money is involved in. 

Do your own research and don’t let anyone direct you by pressure to do so. 

Look at all costs/fees related to your money. 

We use TD ameritrade and are very happy with them. 

Interview the investment location and see what they will help you with. Set up a few appointments. 

And this

I work for a global bank/financial services company (not Vanguard), and I have all of my investments at Vanguard.  It's one of the few out there that's not trying to make a profit.  The owners of the Vanguard Funds own the company, so they're  basically operating at cost.  I worked there for 15 years and left to make more somewhere else, where the investors pay my higher salary. 

Agree with using Vanguard for setting up an account as well as for investing in their funds; been using them exclusively for about 5 years now and have been quite pleased.  Over the years have had accounts with Fidelity, Scottrade, TD Ameritrade and Vanguard; although they've all been good I felt Vanguard was best overall and really simplified everything.  The bogleheads org website forum is like an SOL for investors, there's a wealth of good information there to get you started should you decide to "do it yourself".  Best of luck!

Other way to handle it, you can put a portion of the money into a fund or house to see what the returns are for a year. We did that to try out a place. Then, you can transfer more in or remove the money as needed based on results. 

You certainly are not committed to all or nothing. 

5 hours ago, LBI SurfRat said:

Has anybody used Valic(subsidiary of AIG)? Any good or bad experiences? 

Valic is an annuity provider. That is different than an investment plan. It is more like a self funded pension. The annuity space gets a bad rap because the fees are generally high but there is a segment that can fulfill a segment of a retirement portfolio. You pay now and get cash income later. There are all kinds of riders and whatnot that make it confusing. It is an insurance contract.