frazerp

Fly Hooks for Novices

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Are there 3 types/manufacturers of hooks (1/0 and up) that cover a good percentage of saltwater flies, maybe even articulated flies for us novices ???

Also what about using in-line hooks (eye is in the same plane as the bend), have several left over from swapping out trebles on plugs ???

Posted (edited) · Report post

29 mins ago, frazerp said:

Are there 3 types/manufacturers of hooks (1/0 and up) that cover a good percentage of saltwater flies, maybe even articulated flies for us novices ???

Also what about using in-line hooks (eye is in the same plane as the bend), have several left over from swapping out trebles on plugs ???

good percentage of saltwater Northeast flies will be 2, 1, 1/0, 2/0 and maybe some 3/0, generally stainless hooks, sucks to tie flies on a hook that will quickly rust

pick up Mustad 34007 and it will cover most of your bases without breaking the bank, and almost all will be inline (straight eye)  hooks

Edited by Sandflee

Hooks do not discriminate between old and new guys.

They are just hooks.

Hooks designed for fly fishing can easily be found on line or shops like The Bears Den.

Do yourself and the fish a huge service by going barbless.

mike

Posted (edited) · Report post

Some very good advice from Sandflea. Generally, folks who tie will select hooks for two primary reasons, one being the cost, and the other for specific need. That means some who regularly hook up with fish large enough to bend or break many hooks, will be looking for a hook to handle those bigger fish, regardless of price.

Mustad has been the standard for many years, because for the most part they were the only hook maker that made hooks for fly tying. They have 3407, 34007 or equivalent in their Signature Series. I like their Big Gun series, which are not sold as fly hooks.

Eagle Claw has some decent hooks,  although not particularly sharp, except for their Trokar line, which are very expensive, and not specifically marketed for flies. EC's 354, 254 and 253 hooks have all been used for saltwater flies. 

Gamakatsu & Owner both produce some very good hooks, not all being fly specific, that folks do use because of strength, and sharpness. Here again, depends on what you're willing to pay. I like the Owner AKI series and Gamkatsu SC15, SL45, SL12S Big Game, and SP11-3L3H. There are others from both brands that are used.

VMC produces some good hooks, but except for their Siwash hooks, & trebles. are probably not widely used for flies. They have a 7120 Pin Head hook and a 9255 O'Shaughnessy hook that I use. 

There are other hooks and brands too. Not all produce hook that are sold as fly hooks specifically, but may be used for flies. 

Inline hooks, intended to replace trebles could possibly be used, but may not be the best choice for some types of fly types. The extra large hook eye on them should not present a big problem. 

Edited by tidewaterfly

I agree with Mike Oliver too, most of the larger hooks used for saltwater are not sold barbless, so the barbs need to be mashed down, filed or ground off. That's a choice some agree with, but not others. 

I've also bought some hooks, house brands from Allen Fly Fishing, and Risen Fly, and have been very happy with them. However, so far have not hooked anything of a size to really test them. Otherwise, they're good hooks at a reasonable price. 

The shop brand hooks are pretty decent. The Fly Shop carries their own brand.

Besides those hooks already mentioned, the Umpqua U 401 is a decent salt hook without breaking the bank, though I've never landed anything huge on them.

Another is  the Daiichi 2546.

SF

All good information above, and I agree that the mustad 3407 & 34007 are good basics. I'll also add that in addition to flattening the barb, is to sharpen your hooks as you tie them, to sticky (test it on your fingernail) sharp.

Although I started out tying on stainless hooks, such as the Mustad 3407, Tiemco 800S and Varivas 900P, once the preponderance of my ties became Flatwings, I went to Eagle Claw 254's.  In the past few years, Mustad has come out with the Tarpon Hook (C68SNP-DT) in 2XH/2XS, which I now use for Flatwings that I want to suspend lower in the water column and for Bunker flies.  I have never experienced rust in either the EC 254 or the Mustad Tarpon Hooks, and I crush all my barbs, and have done so since 1996 on all flies, teasers and lures.

Posted the following a while ago...may help you pick out the hook you want:

A while ago I posted about my frustration with the Mustad S71 SNP-DT hooks I was using for stripers on a recent trip to the Cape.  I broke the points off of several hooks and had a couple open up on stripers that were not very large...mid to low twenties.

I got many good responses with many hook recommendations.  I decided to do some home testing to help me make an informed decision on which hooks to tie on in the future.  This was for my own edification, and the testing method is pretty crude, but I think I have the information I need to make my choice.

To test the amount of pressure, or weight, required to open each hook (all 1/0), I clamped the hooks upside down in a vise, catching only the front length of the hook; from the point to the beginning of the bend.  I tied one end of 40 lb mono to the eye and hooked the other end to a small, lightweight bucket.  I then added water to the bucket in 4 oz increments and measured the deflection or bend of the hook with increasing weight, recording the weight at 20, 30 and 45 degrees. 

It was interesting to note that all of the hooks, after bending to 30 degrees, sprung back to zero if the weight was removed. This surprised me as there have been many times that I've lost fish and checked the hook and thought it looked fine.  I may, in fact, have been opening the hook enough to lose the fish, but not enough to put a permanent set in the hook. After a deflection or bend of 45 degrees, all of hooks had a permanent set.  I sacrificed two hooks of each model and took the average of the two measurements.  Both measurements were, for the most part, very close, within 0.2-0.3 lbs.

20o bend

30o bend

45o bend

make

model

length (mm)

gape (mm)

(lb)

(lb)

(lb)

Daiichi

Tiemco

TMC811S

Dai Riki

Mustad

S71 SNP-DT

Gamakatsu

SS15

Gamakatsu

S11-3H

I also did a subjective test of the “out of the box” sharpness by doing the thumbnail sticky test (four hooks of each model).  The two Gamakatsu hooks were the sharpest, the TMC was also quite sharp.  The Dai Riki and Daiichi were less so but still OK.  The Mustad was the dullest of the lot and would require sharpening before use.

No more Mustads for me...I won’t be scrimping on hooks in the future and plan on using Gamakatsu S11-3H hooks from now on.

Bruce

Thanks all - seems that many hooks will work & going to start w/34007 & 3407'S I have & some in-lines

Have always crushed or ground off barbs, especially on plug trebles & sharpening has always been a-waiting-for-fish-to-show-up pastime.

Looks like any hook purchase in the future will not be SS.

Now how am I going to keep/store/transport the large 6+” Beast Flye & Slobster flies ???

NB: Just got Bruce's test result's so I'll have to review choices.

Fly Hook Size Quantity Ttl Cost $ Each Material Where Length
Dai Riki 930 3/0 50  $        11.97  $       0.24 SS Blue Quill 34.5
Gamakatsu SS15 3/0 100  $        38.50  $       0.39 Tin Monster Fishing Tackle 33.1
Gamakatsu S11-3H 3/0 100  $        40.25  $       0.40 Tin Bearsden 34.8
Mustad 68SNP-DT Tarpon Hook 3/0 25  $        11.99  $       0.48 Duratin Tackle Direct 35.2
Diachi 2546 3/0 10  $          6.45  $       0.65 SS J Stockard 35.5
Tiemco TMC811S 3/0 25  $        26.95  $       1.08 SS J Stockard 34.8

avg $/hook  $       0.54   avg mm per hook 34.7

Looks like the Gamakatsu S11-3H is better than average in the cost & is the average in the length column.

Would love to split or quarter a 100 from Bearsden, if any willing !!!

34007's and SC15's should cover your bases. 

Just my humble opinion.

The Mustad has a longer shank,but not as sticky as the Gamakatsu.

^..^

Edited by snapper1