Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
oscarsw10

Snags

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

Hello All,

This past Saturday I went fishing with my brothers down here in Long Beach, CA. Close to the Queen Mary. All 3 of us are new to fishing. Learning as we go basically but the biggest issue we ran into was snagging. We were fishing from the rocks and every time we would reel back in we would get snagged, at first I figured maybe to much weight so I lowered it from 1oz to 1/2oz weights. Than I changed the 5/8oz spoon I was using for simple hooks with bait. But even like this I kept getting snagged every now an than. What is it that we are doing wrong? Is it still to much weight? Should I go even lower? I know this a very novice question/problem but I have to learn somehow right? Any advise would be greatly appreciated. 

Thank you for reading!

Going lighter may help but fishing in rocks is going to get you hung up no matter what you do. Using  tobacco sacks filled with sand or some other disposable and cheap weights is about the only way to get down in rocky areas

sinker shape can play a large factor. Pyramid sinkers and cannonball sinkers are going to be the worst choices for snaggy areas. Torpedo sinkers are a much better option. When I fish rocky areas I like a drop shot type dropper loop rig and I use an EWG largemouth bass hook so that I can rig a plastic lure weedless. Doing all this I still get snagged, but much less than previous experiences of using exposed hook points and other sinker shapes.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I second the tobacco bag weights, if using a 3 way swivel tie a lighter line to the weight than your main line. Another alternative is to use the slinky style weights they work really well in snaggy areas.

Beau-Mac-Slinky-Sinker-2T.jpg?1553681264

Edited by Madraz

another thing is to understand the drift direction.  cast ahead of it, that way when you hit bottom ( with adequate weight) you are still at a angle ahead of the drift, once the boat goes over your line and starts to past you, bring up and repeat.